We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinerary please

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
help with itinerary please

will be in aruba with our 17 yr old son. we were in aruba once before a few years ago.

the questions i have are :

1. rent a car? if so before we arrive or after? i don't think we would need a car the entire trip but is it worth it for dinner, shopping and to get from airport?

2. we would like to book some excursions, should we book prior to our arrival, at the hotel concierge, or on our own when we get to aruba- (looking for best prices)

3. excursion we are interested in are: snorkeling cruise; dune buggy/atv tour: and pirate cruise dinner. please recommend the best for each activity-

thanks for your help

Carolina
Level Contributor
394 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinerary please

Rent the car when you arrive. We see it as a must and really opens up the vacation time for you. Do Baby Beach and Boca Catalina for snorkeling and visit the lighthouse.

I would book the excursions after you get there and study them a bit. One day prior or early morning was ok to book. We found ARUSUN a good value for 2.5 snorkel trip.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinerary please

You can normally get a cheaper car rental price if booking prior to arriving in Aruba. Hunt around for prices.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinerary please

Having the car the entire trip would be good for you with a 17 year old. When are you going? it is now Low Season in Aruba so you should be able to book everything, not the car when you are there. 1/2 jeep tour from either ABC or DePalm tours would be a fun activity. Have fun......

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
576 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itinerary please

I have noticed that if you book activities over the internet (as opposed to the at the hotels) you get a significant discount.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itinerary please

1. rent a car?

Personal preference. Like DiviAruba said, reserve in advance. There are a limited number of cars available on the island and we have gotten shut out waiting until the last minute.

2. we would like to book some excursions, should we book prior to our arrival, at the hotel concierge, or on our own when we get to aruba- (looking for best prices)

As others have mentioned, you do sometimes receive a discount booking online. Many resorts use "preferred tour providers" as well so booking through a resort concierge will limit you as to the specific offerings.

3. excursion we are interested in are: snorkeling cruise; dune buggy/atv tour: and pirate cruise dinner. please recommend the best for each activity-

Snorkel cruise I suggest the Jolly Pirates for anyone with a teenager.

We did a private ATV Tour with Kini Kini tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147248-d1… and thought it was a tremendous value for what we paid. Pack and wear "throw away" clothes, they will be very filthy from the dust and dirt.

Imo, skip any cruise dinners, the food is not going to be comparable to what you can get on land.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with itinerary please

thanks for the suggestions.

when we were there a few years ago we did a snorkeling trip on a catamaran, i think it was red sail. we really enjoyed it, how does this compare to jolly pirates?

we also did a tour, maybe ABC where we went to an ostrich farm and village and i think the church. i am hoping the ATV will be different in that i don't want to see the same things.

as for the rent a car is it necessary or more economical or will we be ok with buses and taxis?

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with itinerary please

Rental car is really personal preference. I know folks who like to have "wheels". Economically it will depend ultimately on where you are staying.

We just did the math on a rental car and staying on Palm beach. We have rented an SUV to tour and snorkel on two separate days. We will use the vehicle on one of those nights to go to the restaurant that would be the most expensive taxi ride ($62 round trip). Even using a taxi round trip from and to the airport, because we will be walking to some restaurants in the Palm beach area, using taxis will still be less expensive than renting a car for our entire trip.

The reason why we did a private ATV tour was because we did want to pick and choose our stops, omitting the ones we had already seen in order to have more time at the Natural Pool. Taking our dd to the Natural Pool was the whole reason for the tour.

Jolly Pirates is not a catamaran. I think that would be the biggest difference. The big draw on Jolly Pirates, besides the snorkeling, is the rope swing.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 15:02
8. Re: help with itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 22:20