We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental insurance coverage...

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
849 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental insurance coverage...

Do you know if Visa Auto Rental CDW is accepted by the car rental agencies in Aruba?

Best Seller
Aruba ATV Tour with Natural Pool Swim
220 reviews
from US$78.00*
Special Offer
Aruba Off-Road Island Tour Including...
204 reviews
from US$106.99*
US$111.78
Aruba Champagne Breakfast and Lunch...
74 reviews
from US$79.00*
Aruba Catamaran Sail with Snorkeling
78 reviews
from US$42.00*
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,835 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

Acceptance is on the part of Visa, not the rental company, you must decline any CDW coverage offered by the rental company to activate the Visa coverage.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

Has anybody used the Visa insurance as it is free of charge? Anybody have a bad and/or good experience using Visa rental insurance option?

CT
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

we use the credit card company rental coverage all the time. Fortunately (knock on wood), we havent had to "use" it yet!

Edited: 02 August 2011, 17:53
n.y.
Level Contributor
992 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

We take the insurance , adviced by my insurance agent , had no problems , but a man returning a car that had been in a fender bender had a $500.00 fee put on his credit card automatically by the car company . With the ins. there is one less headache while on vacation .

Scranton...
Level Contributor
168 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

One year I hit a pot hole and bent a rim on the car & used the cc ins. It was a very odd trip with a lot of rain & we didn't see the hole bc it was filled with water. The damage was charged to my cc, but I had no issue getting my money back from the cc ins, just make sure you get all the documentation you need before you leave the island if something does happen.

On a happy note...the security guard changed the tire for us without hesitation and we weren't even guests there. Truly "One Happy Island".

Boston
Level Contributor
448 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

I pay the extra $20 a day for insurance, simply for peace of mind. Have read some horror stories here, while others have stories like nfahey. Just not willing to deal with any additional aggrevation.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

I must admit that I would have more faith in a Visa card holder insurance policy than I would from an offshore (off shore from the USA/Canada) company in Aruba or some other island that is charging me $20/day. Not sure why paying $20/day would give you piece of mind?

Boston
Level Contributor
448 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

When a guy I know got into an accident once, he was told he had to pay $5000 because the card was arguing the charges. The car company did not care about his case. They wanted their money.

If the off shore company is shady, and will not stand by the insurance they sell (half of which are American companies by the way), then dont give them your credit card. That will only lead to a whole other batch of problems.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,835 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

It is important to understand that although referred to as

insurance, it isn’t really insurance at all – rather, the so called insurance arrangements are terms of your contract with the rental car company. The rental car company itself may be backed by its own insurers but this insurance cover, if it exists,does not extend directly to you.The protection you obtain from the rental contract is only as good as the ability of the rental car company to meet any claim. If the rental car company has few assets, in some circumstances that may leave you as the driver of the vehicle open to liability to third parties.It is a good idea to hire vehicles only from rental car companies that are obviously financially sound, and are more likely to be able to honor the insurance provisions of their contracts

10. Re: Car rental insurance coverage...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:18