We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car

Maryland
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental car

I have never rented a car in my previous trips to Aruba but this year we are thinking of getting one. I have a few questions i need help with. There are four adults in the group so I would need a decent size car.

1. How much can we expect to pay for seven days or if we decide to get a car for a few days what is the charge per day.

2. Is there an additional charge to list another driver besides the primary guy?

3. Do we need their insurance or are we covered under our own policy (I have Geico)/

4. Do you have a preferred rental company ?

5. Are there better deals at the airport or off site.

Thanks for your help.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car

1. Really depends on the car rental company. I would say pick 3 companies you're interested in and email each of them with your dates and find out their rates.

2. Again, depends on the car rental company. Most DO charge extra for an additional driver but there are a couple who do not.

3. This is something you'll need to check on directly with your own insurance company/policy. Also check with your credit cards - some credit cards (depends on which ones you have) will also cover this.

4. We rent from Tropic and Optima/Payless (they just changed their name to Payless) every year.

5. You will pay more at the airport because of an airport tax that is passed along to the consumer. The off-site companies will be less expensive and they will shuttle you to/from the airport or your hotel.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car

I coming to Aruba for 17 years and always using all make car rental. You can make a deal with owner and service 5 out of 5.

Chicagoland Area
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car

We use Tropic Rental Car. They are very reasonable, but only have smaller cars like a Yaris. We find this type of car perfect for getting around and it gets great gas mileage. The rental should not cost you more than $300.00 per week no matter who you rent from.

We usually don't get the rental insurance because our credit card offers CDW. Check with your credit card before you leave. American Express is usually the best bet for the CDW.

Have a great time! You will definitely enjoy the freedom renting a car gives you!

Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car

Geico does not cover aruba.

Visa Signature does, I believe. Could never get a straight answer out of them.

Last week Rented older jeep (2005) through Royal Aruba located very near airport with transportation provided to/fro for $318 a week incl tax, etc. Would be less if cash which you could do after you return the car. No extra charge for adding extra driver.

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car

AMEX Premium Car Insurance is nice, but note: They do not cover "liability". That's on you... if you buy the rental company's LDW (liability waiver), it will not invalidate the AMEX Premium Car Rental Insurance, per them.

Level Contributor
490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car

What are your experiences with Alamo?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car

I like Dollar rental cars. Good daily/weekly rates.

Go online @ rentalcars.com and type in AUA for comparison rates.

ann arbor, MI
Level Contributor
70 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car

ivycat-do you find the smaller cars are sufficient for traversing the island as a whole? We are visiting for the first time in April and want to visit the donkey sanctuary, the main roads of the national park, baby beach, etc. but nothing as extreme as the natural pool and are wondering if the smaller car would be ok? My other problem is that my husband is 6'7" and I just can't see him in a Yaris-Yikes!

Chicagoland Area
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car

The Yaris was great for traveling the main roads, going to Baby Beach, and The Donkey Santuary. We had no problems. Gas mileage was a plus. My husband is a little under 6' tall so being in the smaller car was not an issue. I would go on a guided tour for The Natural Pool. We have not been there ourselves, however I have heard it's hard to find and it's pretty rough terrain.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car

We rent from Econo right at the airport. Have used them for more then 10 years. Like the freedom of going out when we want. We just walk out of the airport, cross the road and walk 4 shops to the left. Return is easy. Have rented from others on the past. Enjoy your trip.