We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruba Royal Car Rental

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Aruba Royal Car Rental

I am looking for anyone who has recently rented from Aruba Royal Car Rental. What was your experience? I have seen many negative reviews, however the most recent ones posted back in 2008 were more positive. I would like to use Tropic or Econo, but they have no availability for the dates needed. If you have any other suggestions/ positive reviews, please post.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

Here's a thread from 2010

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147248-i311-k3308…

Here's one from earlier this year:

tripadvisor.com/…31022494

And lastly one from May:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k4475…

We rented from Budget and never had a problem. Also rented from Toyota Rental and had no problems.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

i would go with jl's suggestions...do not recommend royal

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

I would NOT use Royal ever again.

Too bad Econo and Tropic are both booked already. I've been using Econo and like them a lot. Tropic gets rave reviews also.

I think Amy uses Optima/Payless and speaks very highly of them. http://www.optimarentacar.com/

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

Optima is definitely another good choice, as suggested by NYer

Springfield,IL
Level Contributor
108 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

Just got back on Dec. 7th and used Royal. Like you I found a couple of other companies I wanted to use were booked solid. We used Aruba Royal for a Jeep for the week. It was a POS! I asked to se their "new Jeep" and they brought one around and it was a couple years newer (2009) but was in just as bad of shape. And they wanted another $100 for it. I said it was unacceptable. The tires on the first two Jeeps were mismatched and severely weather cracked. They brought another 2006 Jeep around and it was acceptable at best. I am not that picky. I was not expecting perfectly new condition bit these were not nice at all. Then on day 3 the Jeep would not start. Dead battery. They brought us another Jeep in about the same condition. It got us around for the week but it was a rattle trap. I would not use them ever again. I did see a lot of nice Jeeps with Top Drive stickers on them. They looked very new and nice. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

sorry you had that experience but similar stories are the norm at royal

Springfield,IL
Level Contributor
108 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt because I did read some good reviews but I agree with you mlady, it seems to be the norm.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

Wish I had seen these negative reviews on Royal before I used them. I rented a mid-sized car off of them and it was in really rough shape. It literally had way to much cosmetic damage to document in the few minutes that I was looking over the car with the employee. I ended up getting charged for a scratch on the vehicle that was already there. At first the employee/manager Tichram (sp?) tried charging me $500 for the damage but after my fiance threw a complete fit and started pulling other customers over to see how ridiculous the situation was, he backed down and said that it was really just a light scratch and could easily be buffed out for $100. I was not happy with the situation since it was obviously not a new scratch, but was was happy that he did not try and charge me for other damage already present on the vehicle including a front bumper that was half hanging off and several large dents. Needless to say I will not do business with these scam artists again, but in the future if I do end up renting a car with substantial cosmetic damage, I will take pictures of the car with the salesman in order to protect myself.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

I am so sorry to hear that is happening in Aruba. Thanks for posting your experience.

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
405 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aruba Royal Car Rental

We rented from Top Drive last summer and had a good experience with them. We'll be renting again from them this summer.