We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charlie's worth the drive ?

st.marys, ohio
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
charlie's worth the drive ?

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I love this forum !!! I'm starting to work on my "must see " list.. Is Charlie's bar worth the cab ride to San Nicolas ? We are staying at Divi Links..Big shrimp and cold beers sounds like it to me, but 20 min ??? Anything else to see or do while in that area???

Thanks, you guys are great

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

People seem to be split on this subject. I am in the "What's the big deal?" camp. Went once. Felt that it was a waste of time. The area smells terrible from the nearby refinery. It is also a bit seedy compared to Oranjestad. The lunch menu only had one item that I considered and they stop serving it in the early afternoon. I think around 1:00 - 1:15. It was a steak sandwich. I was too late. License plates from all over seem to be the restaurants claim to fame.

I would rather drive to Nikki Beach for a cold one and Spanish meatball apps.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

You might want to consider attending the Carubbian Festival on Thursday night.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

When we drive to Baby Beach or Rodger's Beach for the day, we always stop at Charlie's on the way there or way back for a few cold ones, some lunch, and some lively banter with the bartenders. If you go, make sure you sit at the bar - much more entertaining than at one of the tables.

The steak sandwich is my favorite and if you like spicy, make sure you put some of their famous "honeymoon sauce" on it.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 16:02
Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

We rented a jeep to visit the back side of the island last October... The plan was to hit Charlie's and baby beach....being from the Boston area I am not one to asking for directions ( my wife is all over me for this)...well we never found it and ended up ay Baby Beach and ate at the Rum Runner ( ?)...we recognized it from the news story of the missing girl.....had a good meal with good service ...never saw Charlie's .. ..

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

You must have been at the Rum Reef Bar & Grill near Baby Beach. Nice little place.

You won't just drive by Charlie's - it's located downtown San Nicolas and you need to veer off the main road to/from Baby Beach to find it. I'm on your wife's side regarding directions. :)

New York
Level Contributor
773 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

I with ArubaAmy, Charlies is a fun lunch spot if you already have a vehical. However, I don't think the high cost of the taxi ride is justified. We first heard of Charlies many years ago on the Travel Chanel. I guess they enjoyed it also. Known for the steak sandwiches, shrimp, a great bartenders.. Oh, and don't forget the atypical decor LOL

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

you are right Amy....its' a guy thing and a firefighter thing...we are NEVER lost , just a little off kilter :)

Edited: 07 January 2012, 20:16
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

That's exactly what my husband would say, too. :)

First time we went looking for Charlie's in 1997 we kept missing the street to turn onto (must have driven by the turn about 5 times.). Finally gave up. But we did find it the following year. My husband never asked for directions either. LOL!

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

We went there two years ago. It's an 'interesting' place. Don't think I'd go there again for food...maybe a drink. Instead, I'd go two blocks away from there to the Hollywood Smokehouse Diner for some really delicious, reasonable barbeque. We went this year, and I thought it was really great!!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: charlie's worth the drive ?

my boyfriend and I went to aruba last april and are planning on going again this year. We took the bus over to charlie's bar. we had something to eat a and a few beers. Lively entertainment at the bar. Inside the bar it is really interesting worth the trip the bus ride was a bit long though. Went next door to charlies and bought a couple of tshirts. was worth the trip. enjoy