We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying cheese

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Buying cheese

Hi, where is the best place to buy full wheels of medium gouda cheese

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
529 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying cheese

This may sound crazy, but we learned last year to wait and buy our cheese at the airport - much cheaper and duty free. They do have full wheels available there as well. This was a suggestion that every local on the island gave us - to wait and get it at the airport.

Cheers!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
829 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying cheese

Yes, the airport has a very large selection including those giant wheels. And you won't have to carry it as far or worry about it melting and such.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying cheese

yup ..we love cheese and always get it at the airport...it travels well.....we just finished our last mini round and will have to wait until August to re-supply

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying cheese

Thanks for the replys, we will wait untill airport

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying cheese

Guess it was just me, but the first time I bought a small package ( the one in the red plastic wrap) of gouda at the airport, it was MUCH more expensive than at Ling & Son's. I was bringing back a thank you gift for my neighbor for taking in the mail and watching the house, so I decided to wait to get it at the airport. I paid about $14 at the airport versus, $7 at the grocery store. I have always since then bought it at Ling's the day before I leave and get it nice & cold and it makes it home just fine. I also but myself a few too!! Love that cheese!!!!!

Teanne

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
768 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying cheese

We got ours at the airport too. The price is not that much different than local markets. Wish we can go back and get some Gouda cheese soon!

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying cheese

What is the best way to keep it once you get home? We love it and often buy a couple small ones. Once we purchased the large wheel and put it in the freezer and it just did not taste the same - Kind of dry and crumbly

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying cheese

follow up to my question

After seeing the prices at Curacao & Bonaire airports, we decided to buy at grocery store. The best price we found was at Super Food

3 pack of spiced baby gouda $22.83 us airport $40

4.1 kg wheel of extra old gouda $47.95 airpot $55 for mild & lighter weight

Very good selection at Super Food & all prices marked

Airport only had mild wheels and 1 type of baby

No need to freeze, wheels are sealed, once home refridgerate and will stay fresh for long time

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying cheese

This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I love to buy food items as souvenirs when I travel and then I don't want to eat them because, well, they're souvenirs!

I had hung onto a three-pack of cheese for FOUR YEARS (refrigerated, natch) and just opened them this week. They were fine. The Stroopwafels from last summer, however, did not fare as well... ; ( LOL

Michigan
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying cheese

Hello, How do you pack the cheese for the airplane trip home?