We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

OK, my fellow Aruba lovers...

Have any of you been to the above-mentioned restaurant? I've spent a few minutes perusing the reviews and frankly, was blown away by what can only be described as acerbic responses from the owner. I was thinking about giving this restaurant a go in September, but it seems to me this owner is not open to any form of criticism.

That said, glowing reviews seem to be welcome - LOL!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

I just sent you a PM.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

Some owners/chefs see criticism as a means of improving their business. Others take offense and it is "their way or the highway".

If you go to some of the other Aruba forums, the reviews are all over the place. Keep doing your research ;)

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

I believe there was recently a thread that got into heavy discussion about exactly what you are talking abou. Many said that because of the owner's responses, they wouldn't be visiting the restaurant.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

Never been there, and I'd never go now after reading what this owner writes. You do not insult or argue with your customers. It just looks bad.

Love this insult from the owner:

"This tells me something’s wrong on the other side of the border or either your accustom of eating fast food Italian back home like at Olive Gardens which offers 'food & prices' for people that are on a budget.

Again, we thank you for your comments and wish you the best of luck on your future restaurant visits elsewhere."

Or this:

"Imagine how far we have to go because of certain people that no matter what you do you will never ever be able to please..."

Best to just say, "I'm sorry you did not enjoy your visit. I hope you will try us again and we'll try to make it up to you".

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

Just read the recent responses....it's really unfortunate that among most of the good reviews, the reviews that are so-so are met with such defensiveness! That manager definitely needs a lesson in how to respond to people's complaints. Word of mouth (and not in a good way) will end up putting this restaurant under if they aren't careful.

Mansfield...
Level Contributor
151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

WOW just read the responses from the owner, I have never been there before and after reading his respones I would never go.... he needs to work on his people skills....

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

I'm thinking this gentleman would benefit from a customer service course (or 10).

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

I'll stick to LaTrattoria. Not a favorite of the regulars on this forum, but you do need a reservation. That says something about the place. Only a handful of restaurants in Aruba are too popular to just pop in without a reservation.

Anna Maria's does get a lot of excellent reviews, but knowing that the owner is prone to being rude is a turn off.

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

The thread with MANY responses was on aruba-bb.com.

I read the owners comments a few months ago and decided then I would never go to this place. They were just out right nasty. Chef Kasi (from MJ's) would never respond in such a manner as I'm sure other chef's would not.

I have not found a good Italian restaurant in Aruba yet, but Da Vinci's last year was fine and I will return again this year.

Teanne

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anna Maria's; Question for the Aruba Regulars

Arubalisa - I get it ;)

I can certainly live without pasta for a couple of weeks - LOL!