We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruba and/or Antigua

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aruba and/or Antigua

Hey guys

I have two trips planned this year, and was just curious if all you die hard Aruba fans have ever ventured to Antigua, and what your thoughts are on it as an island. It does seem to have more of a traditional Caribbean feel.

Do you think one has an advantage?

Jim

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aruba and/or Antigua

Love the beaches in Antigua, but also love Aruba's. The one big thing for us is that I feel much more at ease in Aruba. We go out and about at night, dont think I would do that in Antigua. Would not stop me from visiting, but just have a general safer feeling in Aruba.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aruba and/or Antigua

Stayed at Sandal's in Antigua. Also visited the island a couple of times with cruise ships. No desire to return. The town is dirty and the people are not as friendly. The beaches are nice, but Aruba wins hands down.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aruba and/or Antigua

Once when I was 19 I stayed in Antigua with my father and brother. It was at the Jolly Beach villa. It was a short walk thru the villa area to the beach. I loved Antigua. We didnt really venture off the resort though, except for once when we took the bus into the town. The town was OK, but Aruba's shopping area in Oranjestad is bigger and nicer. I feel like if I compared the 2 places I felt safer in Aruba (outside of the resort). But I definitely liked Antigua and would go back there again. The people there were very friendly and fun. Now you are making me want to book a trip to Antigua...except I am already going to Aruba in 3 days. Maybe next time DH wants to do a vacation I will suggest Antigua.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aruba and/or Antigua

We have been to Aruba many times and love it

We have relatives with a home in Antigua - they say " go to Aruba" - it is more friendly and much more safe. They ahve great beaches in Antigua but so does Aruba

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aruba and/or Antigua

I've been to both and give Aruba a slight edge. Like others stated, I felt safer in Aruba and think the beaches there are comparable, if not better, than Antigua.

However, if you're looking for a less commercialized, more Caribbean feel, then Antigua is it.

I'll definetly return to Aruba and would probably go back to Antigua.

6. Re: Aruba and/or Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:18