We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

I've been watching the flights for our February trip and they've gone up to over $1000 per person. I hate to say this, but we may have to fly a different carrier! I try to book all our travel with Jet Blue, but I might have to change that.

How long should I go on watching?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

I booked out of JFK in May for October at a ridiculously high price. In June and July it went down a few times quite significantly. Now I see it creeping back up again. Hard to tell how long you should wait/watch/book elsewhere. It's all about what you think is reasonable.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

It depends ... are you going during presidents week? If not,, wait it out for sure.. Jetblue is known for dropping their airfare 6-8 weeks out...I went last February.. Booked in January and paid 99 each way of out JFK... Or when you see it drop to a price you are comfortable with paying .. book it and then wait around for the credit... Honestly, you should under 450.00 for sure .. unless its the weekend of presidents weeks.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

I'd almost pay extra to NOT have to fly US Air again... between the 4 hour infomercial trying to sell everyone duty free items and their credit card, I was never happier to get off the plane.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

Here's a trick I've learned with JetBlue. I book ONLY my outgoing flights first. Then I sit, wait patiently and check and recheck their site daily, until...one day...the price drops. Then I get my handy Jet Blue travel credit and apply that to my return flights. This year, all in, I have paid just over $1000 for round trip tix for two. Not too shabby for 2012 prices.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

That is an awesome suggestion Arubamasc! I will have to remember that in the future...please remind me! :)

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

Okay I will start looking that way-thanks Arubamasc! Funny, but I booked that way last year not intentionally. I grabbed a good outgoing price before our return trip was open from Jet Blue. Should have done that this year too!

Thanks everyone - I'll watch a bit longer before I cave to AirTran!

Bethlehem, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

Arubamasc--I do the same thing and it worked for me. Just took time and effort....but worth paying less than $900 total round trip for both my husband and I!! When I first began looking it was over $1000 per person out of JFK....yikes.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

Arubamasc...totally genius!!!

nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

If it's President's week, forget about the prices going down. Not likely to happen--I speak from experience!

Luckily this year we're at the end of Feb so I snagged the flights as soon as Jet Blue released--$800pp NS.

After a nightmarish connecting flight to Jamiaca this past Feb on Delta, we were willing to pay anything for non stop flight. Since I used points, it didn't hurt as much.

The prices have since gone up $200pp but I'll keep checking to see if it goes down to get a voucher.

Gotta love Jet Blue!

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet Blue - maybe maybe not

I book my round-trip flights as soon as they are at a price I feel comfortable with. We don't pay more than $500 per person, flying non-stop midweek in March. Sitting on an AirTran plane to Aruba would NOT make me happy. JetBlue has spoiled us all!!!!