We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Rockford, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

We are visiting aruba for our honeymoon in November. The one thing that attracted me to Aruba was that you can tour the whole island by yourself. What is the best way to do this...we didn't want to rent a car. I also heard that you can rent fourwheelers too? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Car or jeep (4WD) rental is the easiest way to get around. You can also rent ATVs. I would not recommend a moped - traffic/cars usually move at a pretty good clip on the island.

Rockford, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Thanks so much! I saw on one of the rental websites that they have a mapped out road that u can take around the island. Is that better to take on a moped instead of the busy streets?

Rockford, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Thanks so much! I saw on one of the rental websites that they have a mapped out road that u can take around the island. Is that better to take on a moped instead of the busy streets?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
826 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Yeah, as Amy said, get a car or a jeep. Mopeds and ATV's look like fun, but the sun is hot, the road is dusty, and the noise will wear you out early. Plus, the driving is a little dangerous for open vehicles. If you have the budget, get a car.

Enjoy your visit.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
753 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

I would have to agree about the sun getting HOT. We had a Jeep, put the top down and drove for a good part of the rugged side like that then we had to put the top up.

If you don't have any experience on a four Wheeler on offroad trails, you shouldn't be renting one. You could tip over and ruin your vacation.

Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Can you recommend somewhere to rent an ATV? I checked out George's and he wants $120/day...might be cheaper to rent a jeep?

SC
Level Contributor
7 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

For the backside of the island, you will need an ATV as it gets either very sandy or very rocky and car rental agencies frown upon that and don't cover the damage when they have to come rescue you. Otherwise, the rest of the island all you need is a small rental car, so save money there. Highly recommend Aroki Park which is very scenic on the backside of the island. Not much in the way of swimming there since its on the rougher side of the Atlantic but beautiful none the less. Some herds of wild goats around there so you'll be sure to see some. Check out the caves too. There's the Natual Pool which is very rocky to get to, but do-able with an ATV and the little church in a sandy area near the lighthouse (been here 3 times). There's a great beach down by the refinery, which you wouldn't think would be nice, but its great for snorkeling and its where many locals go. The windmill farm near the bottom end of the island is cool. No matter where you go, you feel safe so don't worry about that (vs. St. Lucia being the opposite). Lots of stuff to see in Aruba and lots of great restaurants.

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

We have rented a jeep. Can we get to the natural bridge ourselves?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
753 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Yes you can get to the national bridge by yourself. Just go up to the trail on the left side of the street near the lighthouse and keep driving along the ocean side trail. The ocean will be on your left!!! Your rental agency or hotel will have a map of the island which will have points of interest on it. You will go by the wishing rocks, gold ruins, the chapel (hard to spot heading in that direction), then the natural bridge (which collapsed). Don't forget to stop when you see the wishing rocks (stacks of rocks(seven high if I remember right)) make your own stack and make a wish!!! Enjoy and don't forget to bring along some water and perhaps a snack or sandwich. There was one gift shop and a bar with bathrooms that you have to pay a small fee to use ( make sure you take some money with you).

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moped or fourwheeler in aruba?

Thank you! I've heard conflicting reports that the tarrraine is too rough...