We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights

st.marys, ohio
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Flights

Wow, the flight prices alot higher than last year!!!! And crappy times. How many months out do most of you book?

Dallas, Texas...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights

I booked my flight right about 2 months before my trip. It was expensive but with credit card rewards it was reasonable. About 4 months in advance I was checking prices and it went up steadily from then on.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights

You are right Slick....Booking out of Columbus for late January is up about $200 pp from last year with those stupid 18 hour layovers...Why do they even bother to publish that stuff? Anyway, ya might check the Dayton flights as they were reasonable the other day....I'm not in panic mode yet, but working on it! Good luck!

st.marys, ohio
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights

Been watching the Dayton ones, still 100 bucks higher than what we paid last winter. Think I better bite the bullet and get them

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights

There's only one non-stop on the day I need to leave (end of Jan) and when I looked about 2 weeks ago that plane was almost full so I booked. They since changed equipment to a larger plane with more seats and the price was down a bit from what I paid. But who knew that would happen? I couldn't take a chance and got bitten but it's all a crapshoot.

CT
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights

it depends when you fly.... we usually book 2-4 months (typically 3 ish) before our travels. We will start stalking the prices about 6-7 months out, and just wait...

We use expedia. travelocity, etc to gauge prices, then finally book through liberty travel.

However, if your travelling on a busy week or a holiday week - you may need to book a bit earlier.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
755 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights

So how do you check to see how booked a flight is?

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights

Pontiac Jeff,

Go to specific airlines website and choose your flight times. Then check seat availability. As the seats fill up, the price usually goes up. I normally book 4 months out from Pittsburgh.

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights

I had to check this discussion out since we are flying out next year as well.

@ ArubaDave, we are flying out of PGH as well next Sept, what airline is the best going to Aruba (since I see you are from PGH, PA). This is our first time to Aruba. I have been checking once a week to see the flight prices. So far I have only seen it go down to 409, but of course it was too early to book yet. Have you been able to take any direct flights from PGH?

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights

If you see $409 book it!!!!! That is a great price these days.

Teanne

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights

Jet Blue allows you to apply for a credit for future flights if the price drops after you book...though it is up to you to keep on top of things...