We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Aruba have good shopping?

Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Does Aruba have good shopping?

Spouse and I have taken a winter vac. in Caribbean for the last 4 yrs. We first went to PR, then St. Thomas and loved it there, Jamaica( went AI and it was nice) and then back to St. Thomas. Airfare has really increased and we are looking at maybe elsewhere. Beautiful beaches are a must and we usually rent by owner right on the beach but are considering a nice resort and maybe AI again. We love to go sightseeing and shopping as well as snorkeling. Safety is an issue also. So my question is what other island does everyone recommend and why?

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

Since you're on the Aruba forum, you're going to get a plethora of pro-Aruba responses.

Aruba has beautiful beaches; great, safe water; a multi-lingual, educated populace which tends to mean less crime and restaurants that will make everyone happy.

The shopping is not-so-fab. There are a lot of high-end shops in town and in the malls, but the prices are nothing to write home about.

Sightseeing depends on what rocks your world. Do you like cacti? Do you like lighthouses? How do you feel about tiny chapels and aloe factories?

The nice thing for us with Aruba is that we don't feel like we HAVE to do anything except recharge our batteries. You could go farther and fare worse.

If shopping is important to you, perhaps try St. Maarten?

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

I like Aruba much more than the islands you've been to, but I don't snorkle and I spend very little time shopping when I'm on vacation, so that's not what I like about Aruba. I love the food, weather, people, safety and the ease of our vacations there. People don't rave about the snorkeling or the shopping so you might want to query that on this site.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

I also wouldn't go to Aruba for the shopping. IMO, there's nothing really special and lots of overpriced touristy stores. Go for the beaches, food, etc. not for the shopping.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

I am printing out this thread and I'm gonna hold on to it until my wife utters those famous Arubian words...."Little Switzerland"!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy the shopping options in Aruba. Designer watch prices are generally 15-25% less than what you would find in the States. There is not a plethora of handmade goods on the island, but what is offered is quite unique. Look for watercolor paintings sold by a local artist (Sonya) in the open-air stands across from Iguana Joes in downtown Oranjestad; beautiful work at reasonable prices.

Located within the kiosks on the Palm Beach strip (in front of Texas de Brazil), look for artwork created from pieces of found driftwood. I cannot recall the artist's name, but I will dig up his business card when I am home. Really lovely stuff.

Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

The shopping we like is the usual souvenirs in nicer shops, clothing, decor for the home. But not the mall type of shopping. Thank you for the replies. Continue to send your opinions and advice please.

Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

The wood art sounds interesting.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

Depends what you want. I often buy a Swatch watch.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

If you enjoyed shopping in Old San Juan, Aruba has similar shops on the back streets of downtown on a much smaller scale.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Aruba have good shopping?

I would not call Aruba a shopping destination. That said there are plenty of places you can shop for jewelery etc...some things are priced well and are better deals than the states but make sure you know what you are buying and what the true value is.

Safety is a non-issue in Aruba. We return year after year because its so safe. I would pass on an AI and check out mcmtours for deals. They have great packages to the radisson that include breakfast buffet and lunch. The breakfest buffet is GREAT! As is lunch at gilligans restaurant.