We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

I am beyond excited! I've always wanted to go. Cost wise we are staying at Tropicana to save some money on food. I have a few questions

1) my Other half is a beer drinker (loves his damn miller lite)...cheap place to get American beer to keep in the room? I was going to bring the already mixed drinks with me for myself...or is it cheap down there?

2) looking for reasonably priced places for dinner ($50-$75 range...we are simple eaters...burgers/fries or pasta or pizza). I would like 1 nice dinner on the beach though. What about that restaurant that's like a meat buffet? Where they come to your table and slice it? I thought I saw one listed in a restaurant list

3) flight home is Wednesday at 5:38...how early should we get there? Flying JetBlue

Any other tips? I have had a hellish couple of months and this trip is to help me relax and take some stress away

Steph

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,021 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

1. Go to one of the main grocery stores. There is a brand new (large) Super Food that just opened right behind the Tropicana. You can walk there easily. Not sure if they carry Miller Lite or not but I'm sure they'll have a decent selection. Bring along a soft sided cooler for the beach so you can fill it with ice and take your drinks to the beach during the day.

2. A couple of pizza places - Pizza Bob's, Tomato Charlie's, or Casa Tua; Tulip is a small, casual place and is walkable from your hotel; other casual places: Matthew's, Barney's, Cafe Rembrandt, Salt & Pepper.

The restaurants that are "like a meat buffet" are Texas de Brazil and Amazonia - both are, in my opinion on the high side as far as cost.

Dinner on the beach - Passions On The Beach is located next door at Amsterdam Manor (easy walk). If you're leaving this Friday you need to make reservations now if you want a sunset reservation time.

3. Only 2 other American flights leaving on Wed. around that same time. I would make sure you're at the airport by 3:30 at the latest.

I mentioned it above but....pack a soft sided cooler. You can get ice from the ice machine at your hotel. Take your drinks to the beach and you'll save a TON of money. Hit the bar at LaCabana or the beach bar at Amsterdam Manor next door during happy hour when the prices are good and/or 2 for 1.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
888 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

Yeah the 2 for 1 idea is a good one at the resorts. Also, take a wide brimmed hat as the sun can be very strong. My wife ended up with swollen shut eyes after the first day, and quickly bought a large hat. Have fun

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

I hope you have a great time. It's going to be wonderful to unwind after an icky couple of months.

I second Amy's restaurant suggestions and bringing a cooler is such a money-saver. We brought my father-in-law home a Balashi after our first visit (he was a Miller Lite man, bless his heart) and he liked it just fine. It's so much more economical to buy local beer. Perhaps your hub will like Balashi.

Also, the beach bar at Amsterdam Manor serves a GREAT lunch for a very reasonable price. Incredible french fries.

Make SURE you get the cloth bags that a Divi rep hands out to folks arriving. It will contain booklets with coupons--you can save a bit at Amazonia or Texas de Brazil that way.

If you go to Passions, be sure to order the feta and watermelon salad with chili dressing. I can't reproduce it at home and I dream about it.

Bon voyage!!!

Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

Thanks for the tips! The cooler was packed first!!! I have always dreamed about going to Aruba because I heard its amazing but always out of my budget!!! After my JetBlue credit and their 50% off sale I paid $524 for 2 of us...arrive Friday and head home Wednesday. I'm beyond excited!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

Wow, great price! Enjoy your first trip.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

Enjoy your time. The Happy Hours are fun at LaCabana. The live music is great.

You will enjoy the beach, beautiful.

The pool is nice.

Enjoy

Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

I'm also looking at Busters bar to hit up a few football games???? I'm in a football pool and I've been in first for 3 weeks...1st place pays out $1500 at the end so big week for me!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,021 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

Buster's is right next door to the Tropicana. Good luck in your pool!

9. Re: First trip to Aruba..leaving Friday!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:15