We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

We have booked a trip to Aruba in January. We've never gotten trip insurance before but the hotel we are staying at highly recommends it. We are mainly concerned with trip delay or cancellation due to bad weather in NYC where we are based. We usually get sever snowstorms in January.

I have been shopping around and can't find any cancel for any reason recommendations or ones with enough weather related coverage.

So far, I like travelsafe but it's expensive. Recommendations? Suggestions from people who have taken travel insurance to Aruba.

East Hampton...
Level Contributor
196 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

We have purchased Cancel For Any Reason from AAA for a few recent trips, but it must be within 7 days of booking your trip.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

I don't buy the insurance. If the weather is bad enough that you can't fly, the airlines will rebook you without charging you. You might lose a night's lodging fee, but, that would be a 'wash' with the cost of the insurance.

In the past, we've flown south the day before if there were bad weather warnings and spent the night in Miami or other cities not effected by the storms. Sort of fun to get a head start on your vacation, if only by a few hours.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

It sounds like fun to me, too, jean, but if you have work or family obligations, it can be a waking nightmare.

We have taken three trips with my elderly parents--our gift to them for birthday/anniversary/still breathing. We have booked each trip with them through CheapCaribbean and my mother always insists on picking up the cost of the insurance themselves, bless her. But it's "catastrophic" insurance, and thank God, we haven't needed it. And heck, yes, it's a pain to pay for.

I'm going to watch this thread with interest.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

We always get insurance. We have been " stuck in Aruba for 3 extra nights and it paid for AI for 3 nights, about $1,200. Also, we get it in case something happens and we medically need to be brought back to the US.\

Sites we use:

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

http://www.squaremouth.com/

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

We do have medical evacuation insurance. We buy an annual policy, since we spend several months a year outside the US.

Before we started spending three months a year in Belize, we would take four or five trips a year. Over the years, the savings we've had by not buying insurance have paid for several trips.

That said, if we ever do a trip where we have thousands of dollars invested 'up front', I'll reconsider my options.

We also typically don't stay in places that cost several hundred dollars a night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

Thanks everyone! AAA makes me nervous only 7 days out but extremely good to know that they offer cancel for any reason and not just trip interruption?

DiviAruba-I have been talking to Squaremouth and so far they have been very helpful. Any reason you have used them over insuremytrip or vice versa?

Lori12309-I will post what insurance we go with once we've decided.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

James, I have used both and have not had any problems with either, it just depends on what site I pull up when I look for te insurance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

Just be aware that for most "cancel for any reason" policies, you will not be reimbursed 100% of your trip costs. It's usually more like 50-75%, and to get this coverage, for many policies, you must purchase insurance within a set number of days after the date of your first deposit for your trip.

Also, be very careful with the time period in which you may cancel your trip. There is a set time for this also.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

Hi Lori - In past trips we have used InsureMyTrip for our policy. Fortunately never had to file a claim.

The last couple of trips I got lazy and just booked the insurance offered thru United Airlines.

-------------------------------------------

Benefit Coverage Limits*

Baggage Coverage $500.00*

Baggage Delay Coverage $300.00*

Concierge

Emergency Medical Transportation $50,000.00*

Emergency Medical and Dental $15,000.00*

Trip Cancellation Protection $1,065.40*

Travel/Trip Delay Coverage $200.00*

Trip Interruption Protection $1,065.40*

---------------------------------------

$274.88 for a party of four. Limits per person.

Allianz Travel Insurance

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancel for any reason trip insurance recommendations?

Thank you. We never, EVER bothered with trip insurance before we traveled with my elderly parents. I wouldn't travel to the MALL with them without it.

However, now that I am getting old and crotchety myself, I am thinking that maybe we had better stop flirting with chance and splash out on it. *sigh*