We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

1. Does Econo charge a fee for an additional driver(Tropic states it doesn't)?

2. Not sure if Tropic has additional charges besides a license fee and CDW (if you want). Any sales or hidden fees one should be aware of with either?

3. Tropic said they can have your rental car in an airport parking lot across the street and you can drop it off at the airport upon return? That sounds easy, but not be as quick and easy as Econo's on site location? Anyone have experience with both?

4. Read on one TA post Econo overcharged a credit card and was difficult refunding it. That they used the card to book and then it was charged again when they rented?

Aruba ATV Island Tour with Ayo...
236 Reviews
from US$78.00*
Aruba Catamaran Cruise, 2-Stop...
150 Reviews
from US$42.00*
Special Offer
Aruba Off-Road Island Tour: Arikok...
313 Reviews
from US$106.99*
US$111.78
Arikok National Park 4x4 Tour...
202 Reviews
from US$89.99*
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,027 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

We rent with Econo without problems. Use our Ax card.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

Tropic was so easy to deal with. Liability insurance was included with our rate. Someone was at the airport outside to meet us, picked up the car right at the airport. When it was time to drop it off, someone was right at the airport. Easy, quick and found them very honest. By the way, the car was immaculate and in good working order. Wouldn't hesitate to rent from them again.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

Actually the Tropic system is faster than any of the companies with airport locations because your forms which you receive by E-mail are already filled out upon your arrival. Walk out of baggage claim, met their rep, walk to the parking lot and you're gone. At drop off, pull up to the departures building and the Tropic rep will meet you, help you unload and take the car.

There is a reason they sell out months in advance.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

I am absolutely certain that Tropic is a fine company, but I prefer to pick up my car at the airport and return it there. Especially the return. No worries about being a little late or very early to meet someone. You will NEVER get the 5 day special rate from Tropic because you must reserve within 2 weeks. They won't have any cars to rent, so they will not honor the rate.I think if you match a week rental charge for each company, Econo will be cheaper even after adding the 12% airport tax. Both are good companies, but Econo at the airport gets my vote.

Edited: 25 December 2012, 00:20
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

LOVE Tropic. We've rented from Hans twice--I always reserve the car when I make the hotel reservations, and I do that six months before we travel. We've gotten the special rate both times and the cars have been pristine. We have the cars dropped off and picked up at our hotels and we love the convenience of that.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

Lori, I am referring to the 5 day rate of $145. Hans would NOT take my reservation. He will only honor that rate if he still has cars available for a full week. Believe me, I tried. He sent an email explaining his policy. Getting a car delivered to a hotel and picked up there would depend upon the time. If your rental is up and you still have many hours until your flight home, then it makes sense to have the car picked up at the hotel. Otherwise, a days rental from Econo is less expensive than a taxi. Even cheaper on a Sunday when taxi surcharges are in effect. Also, you don't have a driver to tip.

Tropic is good, but I'll stick to Econo.JMO.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

Accept reservation 2 weeks before the starting date of your rental, more than 5 days can e-mail us any time.

Copied and pasted from Tropic's current ad for 5 day rental at $145.

For a week, or more, you can reserve at any time.

Edited: 25 December 2012, 01:11
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

I've used both and both are very convenient and reasonably priced.

Econo does not charge for an additional driver. The only additional with Econo would be the airport tax which was less than $20 for a Sat-Sat rental in October.

nyc
Level Contributor
268 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

Hans and Tropic are quick and efficient. Paperwork's done. All you have to do is walk to the parking lot, eye the cars condition, put your bags in the trunk and go. No more than 10 minutes from terminal to exit.

Drop off is equally easy. Andersen or Hans will be at the car before you open the trunk to get your bags. Pick up your receipt and you're off. Hans is very reliable as are his cars.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any hidden fees with tropic rental car or Econo?

I guess we've gotten very lucky, Tony! It's great that there are other options as good or better.

I'm treasuring the memory of our first Tropic drop-off in July 2010--my mechanic husband innocently inquired after looking over the dashboard: "Where's the heat?"

The fact that the guy didn't laugh in his face and snatch back the keys has earned our business!