We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Topic
Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

Tonight, our Queen Beatrix announced she will reseign on the coming Queensday (April 30th) and pass on the crown to her oldest son, King Willem Alexander. I don't know how the festivities will be in Aruba, but the Queen is very important to Aruba too. Queensday is a public holiday, but this year extra special because of this important occasion.

Starting in 2014, there will be no longer a Queensday on April 30th, but a Kingsday on April 27th (unless Kingsday is on a Sunday, in that case it is one day before. Therefor, in 2014, Kingsday will be helt on April 26).

I wonder if the airport will be renamed after our new king or will stay Reina Beatrix.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

Just read that... I seem to remember some turmoil when she became Queen but she and your country persevered....to your and her credit...

Long live the king....

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

ah thank you very much, very friendly :)

Woh, but you have a very good memory. It was exactly 33 years ago that she became queen, and indeed there was some turmoil (not about her, but about social issues in general). We hope this time, everything will be fine and just one big party without problems.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

I'll drink to that...

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

Good luck to the new King. Thank you, Queen Beatrix

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

All the best to the new King! :)

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
164 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

Love that family. Any more news on Prince Friso?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

Long live the king! And this is something I think the Queen of England should consider, long overdue, IMO.

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
164 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

BoesBoes why is she going to go from the title of queen to princess? Never heard of that before. ( queen No'or, queen Elizabeth the queen mum, queen Fabiola- they all stopped being queen but retained their titles)

Langhorne...
Level Contributor
164 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

Any news on Prince Friso?

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Queen (reina) Beatrix will reseign on april 30th

@jerseygirl: I don't know why in the other countries the queen retain their titels and in the Netherlands don't. But indeed, you are right, Beatrix will become princess again. Her mother (queen/princess Juliana) did the same, when she resigned in 1980 she became princess again. Maybe it is because we can only have one queen at the same time? Actually princes Maxima (the wife of Willem Alexander) will get the titel queen Maxima.

About Prince Friso, so sad, is no news. It is now one year ago he had this terrible ski-accident and he is still in coma, has not been awake yet. He is in hospital in London.