We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Car Rental

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Car Rental

Used Alamo in the past; not please. Other recommendations?

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Car Rental

Tropic is who I always rent from and recommend, but depending on when you are going, you may not be able to get a car. Hans is booked out very early. I will be booking him soon for my November vacation.

Many people recommend Econo on the site and have had very good experiences but I had a HORRIBLE experience with them and will never rent from them again.

Amy, our expert also recommends Optima, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong Amy!!

Teanne

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,265 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Car Rental

You are right! :) But they changed their name from Optima to Payless.

I'm a Tropic fan and a Payless fan. Both have served us well over the years.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Car Rental

Consider Econo at the airport. We rent from them. Pleased

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Car Rental

I have a car reserved with Econo. Used them for the past two years and had no problems; however, someone on this forum used them, based on my recommendation, and had a bad experience. I like the fact that they are at the airport. It makes it very easy to return the car. No worries about meeting someone. I just hope that their service isn't slipping. No matter who you use, there are bound to be some negative reviews.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 19:33
Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
415 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Car Rental

We have rented from Top Drive the last few years and have been pleased with them.

Denver
Level Contributor
469 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Car Rental

We are booked with Alamo. Can I ask what your bad experience was with them? May change our mind and rent elsewhere. Thanks

Level Contributor
51 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Car Rental

We rented last year from them and it was fine.....other than the two miserable ladies that worked in the office and their bad attitudes. However, someone recently posted that they had reserved a car and there were no cars available when they got there to pick up. After reading that, i emailed Alamo international about our upcoming reservation and was told that they can't guaranty a car will be available when we arrive next week because its high season and very busy. So we have made other arrangement but kept the Alamo reservation just in case. I originally tried to book with Tropic, but Hans was sold out at least 6 months ago for this week. Next time I'll know better!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Car Rental

I rented their only jeep -the kid that worked there had a dark green jeep...we had our jeep broken into.....funny there was a dark green jeep parked next to ours and hmmm some one used a key!!!!!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Car Rental

We were just in Aruba (end of January) and rented from Royal Car Rental. Even though there have been some negative reviews from them, this was our third time renting from them, and we had no problems at all.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended Car Rental

we just used Payless but they have apparently merged with Aruba Rentals which is where our car came from. Made us pay 80.00 because the remote was defective and they had to come to where we were stuck. Also tried to charge us for a scratch that was almost too minor to see and was not done by us. Just b careful. Trying Top Drive next time.