We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo snorkeler

Gill, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Solo snorkeler

I am going to Aruba by myself. I've done some snorkeling in past years but am no expert or even very adventuresome. I have my own fins and mask. Should I bring them, rent a car and go myself to some place like Boca Catalina? Or should I stick to a tour because I am by myself? I am staying at the Tropicana.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo snorkeler

I would bring them but I also would stick with a tour unless you can find another to dive/snorkle with you.....never swim/dive/snorkle alone.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo snorkeler

Jmsh- good suggestion. Swimming on your on is never a good idea IMO.

Gill, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo snorkeler

Good thought. Told you I was a novice. On a tour, are fins and mask included in the price? If so, if there a reason to bring my own? Takes up room in the suitcase. But if it is cheaper to provide your own I'll bring them.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo snorkeler

Have a look at the black pearl . They have various trips plus equipment is included

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
826 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo snorkeler

You might also consider snorkeling with Aruba Bob. This outfit has very nice equipment and would save you the trouble of toting your gear back and forth to the island. Here's an interview with Kent and a look at the sea life:

bentpage.net/2012/…

Bon dia and be safe, always snorkel with a partner.

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
92 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo snorkeler

For an inexpensive option that is really chill I would do the Octopus. Jethro and Jeff have been running this catamaran trip for years. It's very reasonably priced if you do the afternoon 1:00 trip. They will take you out to Boca Catalina and they do not limit the time you spend in the water. They serve fresh fruit and it's an open bar on the ride back. They play reggae music and usually there are only 15 or so people on the boat. Equipment, food and drink are all included. I make sure to bring a nice cash tip. You can't beat it for $35. My family has been going every year - we just feel a trip to aruba is not complete without them. They're like aruba family.

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo snorkeler

I personally bring my own gear just because I like having my own, quality gear (not to say rental stuff might not be "quality") Yes it takes up some space but its never been a problem .. I guess that's up to you though : )

I second Jethro & son, great guys, budget friendly trip and with a small group. Whichever you decide to do, good luck & happy travels!

burlington
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo snorkeler

Senora, when are you going to be at the tropicana. we are heading down sunday for 9 days and are going to try snorkelling at afew places.

Mansfield...
Level Contributor
151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo snorkeler

I second the vote for Aruba Bob, went out with Stuart in October and it was a great time, small group lots of one on one direction if you need.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo snorkeler

I bring my own gear because I hate putiing something on my body or a snorkle in my mouth that 5000 other people have used in the previous days or years.