We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

Looking for a fun late afternoon ride. (Is late afternoon too hot?) Kids 11 & 15. Not experienced horseback riders but have done similar tours on other vacations. Leaning towards Gold Mine but is there another stable I have overlooked? (They all have great reviews.) Do they all travel in the same area? Traveling mid-April (two weeks away)! Thanks so much!

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

My wife is not a horse-woman and the folks at Ponderosa went out of their way to make sure she felt safe and confortable and had a great time...and she even had a great time doing the de rigeuer canter through the surf. (They were also gracious enough to smile at all my lame Little Joe, Hoss, Adam and Sing Sing jokes because, of course, that was the first time they had ever heard of them! LOL) I would highly recommend them and, if ya go, say hi to Pa!

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

I would be curious to what others have to say as we are looking into doing this as well when we come there in Sept.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

I've been riding with Gold Mine 3 times now and love it there because it's a smaller place.

Late afternoon is the hottest part of the day. I would suggest going in the morning.

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

I really haven't looked much into any of these yet Aruba Amy, do you know if they do evening rides?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

They have rides at 5pm.

http://www.thegoldmineranch.com/tours-rates/

Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

OMG - PlayaLinda Mike - so funny! You sound just like my husband! Aruba Amy, thanks so much for the reply too!

Edited: 03 April 2013, 17:10
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

We've done Gold Mine and Daimari and preferred the latter.

Mike, it's HOP Sing. Sing Sing = Ossining = scary correctional facility. Tsk! LOL

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

Lori...Tsk! Sing Sing was Hop Sing's son.... Laura always thought Sing Sing and Little Joe were maybe too close when they got that little house on the prarie together.

BTW, to the OP, early riding is better than late riding and a Speedo, boots and Stetson look great on the Chirstmas cards to the folks, but not such a grand idear while riding in the heat and brambles.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 17:28
pa
Level Contributor
565 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

Lori12309...could you elaborate on why you prefer the later?

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Horseback Riding for family - Diamari, Ponderosa, Gold Mine?

I liked the route we rode with Daimari--along the beach and to the Natural Pool--more than the one we took with Gold Mine. The tack at Daimari was in much better condition, too, and I thought the guides were more fun. (I posted a review of Rancho Daimari, but was not moved to do so for Gold Mine.)