We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

Shelton, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Topic
Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

Ok, so i have read all the old posts about reserving a palapa a day before at the Radission and am already getting stressed. We will be heading down next month with my mom. I cant seem to locate a map online and how they are set up and which ones are closest to say bathrooms, activities, etc? Is there a chance we could be shut out? How many people are usually in line? Are there limits to the amount of chairs? Can the chairs be moved? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

1. Re: Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 16:12
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

@Tracy: like the general manager writes, there is absolute no reason to stress about the palapa at the Radisson.

On the contrary, the palapa reservation-system at the Radisson is as easy as brilliant. It is one of the main reasons we love the Radisson so much and continue to go back, year after year. We have travelled the world but have found the Radisson-palapareservation system absolutely the best!

I don't think there is a map on the internet, but when you arrive at the hotel, at the towelhut they have a map. The people at the towelhut are so friendly and can advise you which palapa would suit your needs best.

Don' be afraid to be shut out. We have never had one day (of the more then 100 days we have been here in 8 years) we couldn't get one. There are always a lot of people in the line (people tend to start the line earlier, around 3.15), but there are always more palapas then people in line. And.. if you are really concerned, there is even always the opportunity to pay for a reservation in advance. You don't have to, don't understand me wrong, but you can, if that helps you to overcome your stress.

For your other questions: In the morning you go to your palapa and you get the chairs you need from the pile (or the staff helps you to get them (you can tip them). You will see that 4 chairs under one palapa work, but I think only two have 100% shade then. By the way, the sun (or better the earth) moves so you have to move your chairs during the day a bit to stay in that 100% shade. There is enough space around your palapa to move with the sun.

About the reservation system, last year I wrote this summary for this forum on a similar question:

You have several opportunities:

1. do you just want shadow from your own palapa? go to the towelhut in the morning, get your towels and look at the map to reserve your palapa for free.

2. do you want a palapa in a specific part of the beach? go to the towelhut in the afternoon, wait till the towelhut starts registering at 4 pm and point at the map which palapa you want the next morning for free.

3. do you want a specific palapa? go to the towelhut well before 4 pm, sit down in the chairs they put out around 3.15, read a book or talk to the others and be one of the first to point at the map which palapa you want the next morning for free.

4. do you want a specific palapa without waiting in line? go to the towelhut and pay a fee (or charge to your room) for the next day or couple of days for that specific palapa.

5. do you want a specific palapa with 100% certainty without waiting in line? write a e-mail to the hotel. It will help if you know exactly which number palapa you want, for there are no palapa-maps online.

I hope this helps. I think the whole system is brilliant. Especially when you compare it to the normal procedure of getting up at 5 am at hotels like the RIU or Mariott. We love the Radisson especially for that system!

Shelton, Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

Thank you for all your info, i appreciate it dearly. This is our first time to Aruba and just want things to be perfect, this is a long over due christmas present for my mom. May 1st cant come soon enough--thanks again!!

New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

You will have a wonderful time at the Radisson. The beach is outstanding and one of the main reasons people return year after year.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

I hate to sound like the snaggle-toothed old crone here, but no vacation is ever perfect. You plan, you prepare for the worst and you hope for the best. We love Aruba, but every single time we have gone, there has been a glitch. You roll with it, and it will make some awesome memories after you get home.

6. Re: Palapa locations/reservations at the Radisson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:18