We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental question

new haven
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental question

My girlfriend and I are staying in Aruba (in the area across from De Palm Island) for 7 nights in June. I was wondering if a car rental is a necessity for the area? I feel that we will be content hanging on the beach where we are but wouldn't mind checking out a few attractions around the island. I've heard that cabs are expensive in Aruba.

Also, would anyone care to recommend a car rental company?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental question

Personally, for that area of Aruba I would get a rental car to explore and to go out at night for dinner. We always rent from Tropic or Payless - both offer good service and rates.

Hilmar, California
Level Contributor
477 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental question

I can't speak for Aruba specifically but am chiming in about the perks of car rental in general. When we went to St Lucia everyone on the forums recommended against renting a car and said that there were buses and driving services. We tried the bus one time and it was hot, stuffy, crowded and didn't smell too great (think sticking to your seat mates in the humidity). We hired a driver a few times but found ourselves either wanting to leave and having to wait for our designated pick up time or wanting to stay and having to rush back to meet our driver at the designated time. Not having a car was a big regret for us. We've been to St Maarten twice and per the forum recommendations got rentals and used them a lot. I feel like we need to go back to St Lucia to really get to know the island as opposed to St Maarten which I feel we really know well now. We went to Hawaii and were told we wouldn't need a rental car and ended up getting one our second day into the trip. So far the only place we've been were we didn't have a rental car and didn't feel we needed one was Cancun and that's because we were right across the street from the bus station, it ran what seemed like every 10 minutes and cost .60 cents per trip and we booked tours to get to the places we wanted to see off the bus route. Just my two cents worth but unless you really just hate driving, the freedom you get from having your own transportation is invaluable.

3. Re: Car rental question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 14:35
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental question

We always rent from Tropic. If you are going this June might be to late to rent from them. Very easy to drive around the Island and you will save $ if you plan on trying different places to eat and swim. Cabs can add up.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental question

We have rented from Econo the past two years. Prefer to pick up the car at their airport facility. Returning the car is so much easier because you simply park behind the office. Have the car inspected and cross the street into the airport. No worries about meeting someone at a specific time. There is a 12% airport tax that will equal a normal tip for pick up/deliver service for off site rental company drivers. I have booked with Econo for our trip in June.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental question

Tony, how much do you tip those guys? I definitely don't tip 12% of my total car rental bill.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental question

Amy we usually give 10 dollars when dropping off. We drop off at the airport. Also tip if they come to take care of a problem with the car, flat tire, etc. One time Tommy went snorkeling with the keys in his pocket and of course they would not start the car so we called Hans and he met us within a half hour and did not charge for replacement. Love the service you get at Tropic. We tipped him for coming down to replace.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental question

When I use Tropic, I never tip since the car is at the airport and I return it to the airport myself. When I use Payless, I tip the shuttle driver $2 (each way) because he helps me with my bags. This is the same amount we tip in the U.S. when traveling for both business and leisure (we travel on a monthly basis.)

I would definitely never tip 12% of my total car rental bill.

See link regarding tipping:

consumerreports.org/cro/money/travel/tipping…

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental question

Hi Amy!

I was figuring $20. Maybe $10 for the guy delivering the car and $10 for the guy taking the car back. Too high? I don't want to set any bars, so if I have to use an offsite agent in the future, what do you recommend for delivery and for pick up?

For an economy car at Econo, the tax is a little under $20. Spread out over a week, less even a $10 tip, it is pretty miniscule. Econo also doesn't have the extra fees charged by the other airport agencies. They really add up.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 16:00
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental question

Shuttle drivers for car rentals get, on average, $2 when they help you with your bags (more if you have alot of bags or they go above and beyond). It's not so much the service of bringing you to/from the car, the tip is for help with luggage.