We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal belongings on the beach

Bethlehem, New York
Level Contributor
198 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Personal belongings on the beach

I'm going for my third trip to Aruba this July and I still haven't figured out where to put valuables when I go in the water for swimming/snorkeling. I usually try to not drift too far from my palapa and keep an eye on it. I never leave anything too valuable there, but when we drive to beaches and have to leave our stuff to go snorkeling, I don't know what to do with things like the car keys. Any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Aruba ATV Island Tour with Ayo...
236 Reviews
from US$78.00*
Aruba Catamaran Cruise, 2-Stop...
145 Reviews
from US$42.00*
Arikok National Park 4x4 Tour...
195 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Special Offer
Aruba Off-Road Island Tour: Arikok...
307 Reviews
from US$106.99*
US$111.78
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

I leave my HUSBAND on the beach. LOL He watches our "stuff," and when he wants to go in, I stay on shore.

I never, EVER take anything to the beach that I can't afford to lose if I leave it unattended.

When we first started to go to the Caribbean, we locked stuff in the trunk of our rental car, and then we were told it wasn't safe to do that. Buh-BYE, St. Maarten!

Now, we just leave the valuable stuff at home or in our safe at our hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
New York
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

we travel with a waterproof bag that we purchased at Dick's sporting goods. We have left our flippers and towel unattended with no problem.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

jgoodwin56, with all due respect, flippers and towels have limited resale value. I think the Beach Bandits are looking for cameras, watches, tablets and fancy-schmancy sunglasses.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

Katie0225

There is a portable safe I have heard about.

You attach it to your (chickees) SP??

Don't have one but maybe someone else can comment on them.

I always bring my camera and fancy sunglasses(prescription COACH),so I do not want that stolen,

As Lori12309 said - I also leave my husband on the beach as I am the "ocean "person.

Look into a portable safe style container if you have no one to watch your goods.

New York
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

of course lori12309 lol that is why we leave those unattended on the beach and for our more valuable things we have a waterproof bag that we purchased at Dick's sporting good. It works really good.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

Can't say it enough, "Love my VACATION Vault". Think is was about 25.00 and have used it every vacation. Got mine on Amazon. They would have to take the Palapa to get my stuff, lol.

NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

Vacation Vault...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vacation+vault&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1695082409&ref=pd_sl_4pxdrodiw_b

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

Just Google "vacation vault" or "PacSafe" and you'll find something to suit your needs. We use one. We never bring anything valuable to the beach (except a camera - photos are more important than the camera itself - and a few bucks for the beach bar) but theives have no clue what is in or isn't in my bag. They're just looking for a quick "grab and go" with hopes of something valuable.

9. Re: Personal belongings on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 06:19