We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

fremont,ca
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Hi,

We are travelling in First week of September with a young family (kids age <4). Its hard to decide Renaissance vs marriot's on palm beach.

My dilemma is Renaissance seems to be a nice property with their own island and close to a lot of diners and shop. But may not have the best beach in Aruba.

Marriot's on palm beach are nice , but heard about a lot of noise and not a lot of things to do for kids.

What are pro and cons of these property or more importantly leaving on a property in palm beach vs Oranjestad.

Thanks

Victor

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

If it came down to beach I would choose the private island at the Ren over the beach at the Marriott which is not the best part of Palm Beach at all.

Both hotels are within walking distance of many dining and shopping options. If you want to visit either place from the other, it's just a short taxi or bus ride away.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Renaissance Private Island is nice, but we were nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes there. We were there in September. Just something to keep in mind.

Yellowstone...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Wasn't the Ren previously called the Sonesta?

If I'm going to an island I want to go from my room to the beach.

Not room boat beach.

Waiting time for boat with small kids who r tired cranky etc.

Happy kids make happy parents.

I would prefer Marriott.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Loved the suites, small beach and lagoon and large pool on site, short boat ride to the private island, many dining options in town.

To the person asking about Sonesta - resort was called Harbourtown, they went belly up followed by Sonesta who operated and ran it for a number of years.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Palm Beach would be a better option overall for your family.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

My first 3 trips to Aruba in my early 20's were spent at Harbourtown...great memories!!!

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Are you talking about the Timeshares or just the hotel at the Renaissance? Thought the hotel room was small. We stayed there 1 night, our plane got delayed over night.

Marriott Hotel, rooms seemed a bit larger.

Marriott Hotel, lots to do around the area. Don't know about children activities in September.

Boat ride to private island is quick, sort of fun!

I would select Marriott Jotel, but if I could get The Timeshares at Renaissance, I would select the Timeshare.

Marriott has 2 Timeshares. Like the kitchen and larger rooms

Have fun

fremont,ca
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

Thanks Everyone. It seems like they differ from the beach prespective. How about close proximity to any kids activity and dining , bar,...

Can someone help me with timeshare knowledge . I have a marriot Voucher will the timeshare option let me redeem it ?

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

I would choose the Family-Friendly Ocean Suites at the Renaissance. They have a microwave, fridge, coffee-maker and a sitting area. The pool is beautiful and the beach cove for swimming is perfect for little ones. The Private Island also has a family side with a restaurant and bar right there. When we were there, there were lots of little ones. We stayed in the Marina Hotel which is adult-only, but used the pool on the Ocean Suites Side. There are also restaurants and bars right there. There is a shuttle that will bring you over to the Marina Side for more choices in restaurants.

Friends of mine with small ones stayed there and were really happy with it, because the rooms were big enough for the children to nap.

As for the voucher and timeshare option, I would call the Renaissance toll-free at 1-866-576-5550. We don't always do all-inclusive, but we did at the Renaissance and were pleased. The option might be easier with children.

We have stayed on Palm Beach several times and although beautiful, the Renaissance seems more suited to families.

10. Re: Renaissance,Oranjestad vs marriot resort & casin, Palm beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:18