We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card fee of 3%?

pa
Level Contributor
565 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
credit card fee of 3%?

I just placed a travel alert on a few of my credit cards and they stated that unless the charge is initiated in US dollars, there was by a 3% credit card international fee. Then another cc company told me that unless it is on a cruise ship, we will be charged the 3%. Did you find the charge when you got home or is it best to just pay in cash for everything to avoid it?

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

We just use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. Here is a link to all the credit cards without the fee.

millionmilesecrets.com/2013/…

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

We use cash for most purchases when out of the country or we use the Capital One credit card. They do not charge any foreign transaction fees.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

@bbuzzy, sorry that was not a link to all the credit cards.. but many.. As Amy said Capital One , Citi Thank you .. Bank of American Travel.. You have lots of choices.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

Also most credit union cards do not charge...

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

@bbuzz, I see you are here in PA (where, western, middle or easter), check out Nextier bank which is the bank I use. I use my bank ATM card when traveling if I make a purchase, they don't charge international fees either. You just have to notify them you are going out of the country and where to so you can use it. I have had no charges anytime I go out of the country. But I also take cash with me too.

pa
Level Contributor
565 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

Thank you ... I will check out the list ..

I reserved a horseback riding tour and they emailed back with their confirmation and said that they charged 5 percent in transactions and fees, which means my credit card co will charge me another 3 percent for a total of 8 percent ...Not a happy camper ..

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

Which horseback riding place? I've just always paid cash when we've gone riding.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

No fees on our Chase card. All our charges were in US$

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

No fees on Capital One.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: credit card fee of 3%?

Jl, I had a problem with Capital One last month in Europe ....I let them know I was traveling before hand ...tried it twice with no success ...put it in my wallet and used my CU card the rest of the trip...was disappointed that I didn't get my double miles....