We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Do most restaurants in Palm Beach, Aruba already include a 15% service charge and if so, are we expected to tip an additional amount?

If no service charge is included, is customary 15-20% tip appropriate?

Which restaurants charge 15% service charge and then expect additional amount as a tip?

Which restaurants do not charge 15% and allow customers to tip at their own discretion?

Edited: 29 June 2013, 12:47
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Your questions are those that I'm afraid would be extremely difficult to answer. Unless someone has a magical list out there of restaurants that charge the 15% and then expect an additional amount.

If you feel the service warrants an additional 5% tip for service, then by all means leave it. I believe this is the way most people feel about the service charge. I'm sure the servers appreciate an additional tip. Do they expect it? I don't think anyone can speak for all the servers on the island, but we always tend to leave an extra 5% if the service was good.

Your last question has me baffled....why would anyone not tip when receiving service at a restaurant? If the server is terrible and completely unprofessional then I can understand not tipping. But for no reason other than that.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Check your bill at the end of your meal to see if the gratuity has been included. If it has, no additional tip is necessary unless you feel the service merits one. Many restaurant menus will indicate if a service charge will or won't be tacked onto your bill. If one hasn't, we always leave 15-20%.

You may want to visit www.restaurantsaruba.com to compile your own list of "service included" dining venues.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

From what I have read custom seems to vary from person to person.

My simple suggestions:

DINING

If the 15% service charge is included and the experience was enjoyable you may wish to add on another 5%.

TAXI

Ten to fifteen percent seems not out of line.

HOTEL

a) bellman - $2.00 per bag

b) porters - $2.00 per bag

c) chambermaids - $2.50 per person, per day

NOTE: Timeshares maids often perform full service only twice for a seven night stay, arrival day and one other.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 15:18
Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Bobcat, your NOTE is not accurate. FYI, at Playa Linda and other premium timeshares, owners/guests receive full service at least six days a week. And one should tip accordingly. (In the case of PL, I tip $50 per week.)

To the OP, as for tipping, I assume you check the bill at home and tip appropriately. That's a good habit to follow in Aruba. Have a good vacation!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Please read my comments again - I did say "often" not "always" - and most, not all TS do provide full maid service twice a week.

This may be a silly question, why only service for 6 days at Playa Linda what do the guest do on the seventh?

Edited: 29 June 2013, 20:24
Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Okay Bobcat...sorry....splitting hairs....didn't know the difference between "often" and "most" and "not always"....ain't no big thing. Regardless, you are wrong about Playa Linda and at least three other TS that I know of personally. I would be delighted to know the rest so I can be informed. Ty.

Anyway, on the 7th day at PL the staff rests (Thursday) and we receive only fresh towel service and minimal clean-up of my 1200sf TS as needed.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Not sure a list today would be useful long term since restaurants change what they do. As was suggested check your bill for the line item service charge and do what makes sense for you. Just know that the service charge is spread around at the discretion of the owners and in some cases the owners receive a portion of that service charge, so your server sees probably very little of that amount. This tends to be a "hot button" so everyone should do what they feel is right.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Most timeshares provide two days of full housekeeping services. I did not include or exclude any by name that offer more.. No splitting of hairs here. - very much on point.

If you wish to know the timeshares providing limited or full service feel free to check the RCI or II directories.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 21:20
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Bobcat I thought your suggestions were great. I have stayed at timeshares where full service was not done every day.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Service Charges & Tipping

Thank you for your support. I apperciate it. We have stayed at many timeshares over the past 25 years and more often than not they provided limited housekeeping services. They offered full services for a fee, usually it was out of our price range. The two days usually worked out well along with the remaining days for trash removal and towels exchange.

I only mentioned it because leaving a tip for hotel service would be more in line with what I suggested and less in line for some timeshare stays.