We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunscreen

Deptford, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sunscreen

I'm not sure of what # SPF to buy. We usually get 30 but I didn't know if i should get 50. Isn't the sun much stronger and closer to the equator? We don't want to burn on the first day.

Montoursville...
Level Contributor
277 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunscreen

We always use spf 30 and keep reapplying. I am also a blond with fair skin.

Yellowstone...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunscreen

Sun is closer.

Not much difference from 30 to 50.

Just keep reapplying.

Do not stay in the sun to long.

You will ruin your vacation

We have seen that happen way too often.

This aint the Jersey shore

Canada
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunscreen

We use 30 and then go down to 15 after 3-4 days

Just be careful

re-apply - like everyone is saying!!!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunscreen

I am very fair also and for me it is best to get some type of a base before I go (natural or fake). Like Robinc, I start with a 30 and work my way down to 15. I keep 30 on my face though.

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
757 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunscreen

I agree 30 spf should be fine. I would also spend some time of your day in the shade (under palapa). You don't realize how much sun you get until you go indoors. My husband is blonde and fair skin and he wears spf 30 with a t-shirt on and always seems to get too much sun. Sometimes even gets sick from it so be very careful. Whatever you do don't forget to bring it cause it is very expensive on the island.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunscreen

If you like your face id use spf 50 :)

New York
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sunscreen

I always start off with SPF 50, and then by the third day use 30. This way I get some color, but don't burn.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunscreen

If you burn easily, the higher the SPF the better. I use at least 50 and reapply during the day.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunscreen

Apply 30 minutes before going outdoors. Then reapply faithfully ESPECIALLY after getting out of the water. Bring twice the amount of sunscreen you think you will need. "Good" sunscreen is expensive $17+ per bottle.

Be sure NOT to miss tops of ears, feet, hands and any place else you do not normally think of.

If it is overcast you will still need the sunscreen every bit as much as a clear day. Even in the shade wear sunscreen on the beach as the UV rays reflect off of the water and sand.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sunscreen

I just read an article about the # and it advised using a # 30, anything above that there is not much difference in protection.

Good advice above, but also remember to put enough on with each application, at least one ounce each time. You are supposed to reapply every 2 hours, or more often if swimming and toweling off in between. I could never understand how people say they bring one or two bottles for a week's stay. If you have an 8 ounce bottle and apply every 2 hours, that is probably going to be just enough for two days for two people.

I love the sun, but in Aruba I have to stay under a palapa most of the day. Even doing that and using sunscreen, I still get a tan. (So, according to the experts, I am probably not using enough, lol.)