We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The airfare is killing me!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The airfare is killing me!!!

Looking to leave from EWR in August. Definitely want the nonstop; but for 5 of us the cost is over $6,000! Any chance of getting a better rate? Do the prices change much day to day? I keep looking but it seems the same?

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks...

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

Trips can change by alot quickly. Look daily...last tripnI had to connect because the directs where over 500 extra per person....

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

Check the discounters for packaged rates that include air / hotel and maybe car rental / maybe breakfast such as Priceline, Hotels.com, WIOL, CheapCaribbean.com, etc...

--------------------------------------

Check airfarewatchdog for changes in airfare prices if you are booking each part of the trip independently.

Check Endless Vacations for timeshare rentals, using the AARP program saves additional 35%

http://www.endlessvacationrentals.com/aarp

Bethlehem, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

Airfare can change by the hour. I had the same problem a while back but was lucky enough to stumble upon some low rates for direct flights out of JFK--approximately $500pp round trip on JetBlue. I always book the flight there and back separately...find better deals that way. You just have to make sure you check at least once a day and once you find a rate you are comfortable with, book it because the price can go right back up the next day.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

Did you look at United? Look at leaving on a Wednesday.

Also check JFK.

Fares have been high out of the NYC airports

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

I agree with others.. Airfare changes by the hour. I have over 20+ going to Aruba in a couple of weeks out of the NYC area. Some are booked on United, Delta and Jetblue. The prices changed hourly and you have to be on top of things. This past week I just booked my son's friends with us, one day booked the return flight since it dropped.. and everyone was freaking out since I had no flight going down yet.. No worries.. it dropped a few days later. Never paid over $514 for any ticket. But, I watch the flights hourly.

NY
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

You also have to look at how many seats are left on the flights..since you are looking for flights next month, the prices might not drop. i booked 10 people on jet blue for august for around 500 pp, but i was watching the flights since it opened for august.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

Ouch! We usually only book out about 6-8 weeks in advance, but I already booked for December last month as watching rates creep up was making me nervous. My best advice if you haven't already book your room is to do it NOW and book it all together. It will save you a little money.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

Don't overlook Southwest/AirTran.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
540 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

It is crazy that these outrageous fares have become the norm now. Consumers have to jump through hoops to get a decent fare. We have so many NEW NORMS in the US these days. CRAZY!!

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The airfare is killing me!!!

At least with Jetblue out of JFK it's crazy. Example, been watching dates in july since the second they opened ranging from $490 to $890 for the same dates and same flights. Jumping up and down by the hour. Two days ago it was $760 with 21 seats left on the flight and only 3 of them not being extra space seats. Today the fare is $490 with 19 seats left on the plane. Last week alone there was at least 10 different prices for that same flight. When I fly and our checking on a price.. I always do it using one seat NOT how many I need. Then I don't get to see the true price. Out of 7 people on my flight. I was only able to book 2 tickets at the same time to get the low price.. The other tickets I had to play the game and book them one by one . Pain in the neck. But, if i want to continue to travel a few times a year I have to save where I can. Ended up paying between $501-514 a ticket.