We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals using hotel pools?

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Locals using hotel pools?

Just curious if anyone has ever seen the locals using the pools at the Radisson? I can't be certain, but yesterday afternoon I noticed a fairly large group, a couple families, multi-generational using the pool between the B & C towers. The reason I noticed was because yesterday was the first time in our 4-day stay that I noticed that the pool seemed to be a bit crowded, and half the people in the pool were this group of locals. They did not have pool towels and all of their belongings were in bags beside the pool. I know beaches are public in Aruba and don't begrudge locals from hanging out at any of the beaches, even if they block the view of hotel guests. This people work hard to support the tourism and also deserve to enjoy the beautiful beaches. But I do have a problem when the take up pool space after I've also worked year-round to save up to stay at the hotel and they come for free. I do see that Radisson has security, but don't know if they pay attention to whether people using the facilities are truly hotel guests. Would hate to see the resorts on Palm Beach have to use wrist bands, but if it prevents non-paying guests from using the hotel facilities for free, it may be the way to go.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

Yes I have seen it at

the resort pools. Some resorts are more aware then others.

New York
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

Yes, we have seen it. The locals all know each other because Aruba is a very small island. Security probably knows these people - families/friends - or families/friends of workers at the hotel.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

We have seen it at the Westin. Once in 5 stays at the Radisson we saw 1 local. She was the child of an employee.

Locals do sometimes rent rooms for a day or weekend to partake of the resort's amenities. If they did not have towels though in this instance it was probably not the case.

New York
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

I never noticed it. Not sure why that would be seeing the water is so nice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

I have not seen it in all of my years...

Aruba
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

It's vacation time, schools are out. Typically, many hotels offer nice deals to local residents during this time. Probably, a fair number of the locals you see using hotel facilities are hotel guests, just like you are.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

The beach and security staff in Marriottville are pretty good about removing outsiders from using beach and pool lounges. Obviously anyone can use the beach areas in front of the facilities.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

A couple of years ago at the Phoenix, I noticed a mother with two young boys at the pool near me. I noticed her because she was on her cell and the boys were running kind of crazy with the older one making sure the toddler was okay. Went back to my book and next thing I look up and the toddler is face down in the pool and the mother runs and dives in the scoop him up. I don't think I've ever been so scared. Luckily he threw up water and was seemingly okay. Another timeshare owner sitting near me went crazy about the fact that she said they didn't belong here and it happens all the time. She was so mad, she went to find a security person and insisted he ask this family to leave-he did reluctantly. I suppose when you come right down to it, people have the same reaction when the passengers from the cruise ships show up and want to use the facilities you've paid to use.

Just a thought!

9. Re: Locals using hotel pools?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:16