We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Aruba worth it?

1 post
Save Topic
Is Aruba worth it?

Coming from the UK, Aruba is one of the most expensive Caribbean destinations. I assume this is because of the flight costs.

All I want to know is, is it worth it? Is there any reason not to visit Aruba in October?

What are your favourite things about Aruba? Need your input to help me click the book button on the website!

Kate.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

This is a topic that has been visited many times on this forum, Kate. If you typed "Why Aruba?" in the search box, you would get many, many threads. In a nutshell, Aruba has consistent, glorious weather; delicious, potable water right from the tap; a welcoming, multi-lingual population; wonderful beaches; superb restaurants at every price point. It can be expensive to dine out if you have a taste for haute cuisine, but I found the prices to be on a par with a lot of London restaurants.

The only negatives I can think of is that the road signage can be vexing (LOL) and the wind makes your hair look like you got pulled through a hedge sideways.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

Hmmmm..... October.....hurricane season ....Aruba is below the hurricane belt....easy choice....:)

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
New York
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

One of the things I like about Aruba is that it is an easy island to get from one place to another. On the island of St Maarten/st Martin everything is spread out all over the island. You really have to have a rental car. In Aruba you don't. Another thing I like is that it is a desert island and when you are traveling and only have so many days, you really want good weather. It is outside the hurricane belt. I feel safe there and comfortable. The people treat you well and you feel a genuineness from them. It is not expensive. We will be taking our fourth trip there in Oct. My personal favorite beach is Eagle beach.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Eagle Beach
Eagle Beach
7,908 Reviews
Aruba
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

Jgoodwin56, with all due respect, I think Aruba is not INexpensive. Bear in mind that the OP is traveling from the UK. This is a budget-straining trip for most of the Brits I have met. I've been told by my English friends that they get MUCH better deals on holidays to Asia and the Indian Ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

One aspect of traveling to Aruba that I have always appreciated is there are restaurant and accommodation options to fit MOST budgets. That said, I would also not classify Aruba as inexpensive. Flight costs, especially in our current economic environment, present the biggest obstacle, IMHO.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,567 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

I have to agree - would not call it inexpensive. As Arubamasc said though, there are ways around that and options to fit your budget if you do your research. The flight cost continues to go up for us here flying out of Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New York
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

I was not factoring in airfare as that has went up no matter where you are traveling. Sorry if I might have misrepresented re: budget, I was going by my other travel experiences once on the island and for me I do not consider it expensive. I just got back recently from Turks and Caicos. A normal breakfast there was an easy $45 for two people and car rental was very high $574 for 10 days for an economy car, rentals were also higher. I have went to St Barts and when you add on the exchange rate, it was very expensive. Great island by the way.

Mentioned in this post
Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

I was talking up Aruba to some Brits in Kusadasi last spring and they mentioned the less expensive options in coastal Turkey as opposed to Aruba....

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

laryco, I have friends who spent an all-inclusive MONTH in Goa for the price of ten days in Aruba. Other friends are partial to Mauritius, Thailand, Egypt and the south of Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Aruba worth it?

OK, matching apples to apples, Aruba is not expensive when compared to other Caribbean destinations. It is likely that many, many destinations are cheaper, but not many Caribbean destinations. I THINK St Bart's might be a tad more, for example.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America