We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help a gal out, ladies...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Help a gal out, ladies...

I am approaching my most wonderful time of the year, gals. Yes, in a few weeks, I will be activating my out of office reply with great glee, dusting off the passport, tending to the triplets (my 3 beta fish...Fabio, Harpo and Chico) and heading to our collective home away from home for 17 days (thanks to those Marriott points). My known and acknowledged failure as a not-so-frequent traveler is my inability to pack light...or heck, even lighter.

So, what sayeth you, my fine, coiffed, bedazzled ladies. How much would you pack for evening and footwear? I will wash laundry - once - about 10 days in. And of course, most days will be spent in swimsuit and cover-up. Hair and make-up...I cannot be troubled. Jewelry...fuhgetaboutit.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

I traveled in Sperry topsiders, brought Havaianas for the beach and a pair of black patent Coach sandals for evening. I have pared stuff down tremendously-- my duffle bag didn't even weigh 26 pounds going down. My off-the-beach clothing motto is this: if I don't spill on it or sweat too much in it, it gets worn again. LOL I lived in two pairs of yoga pants, four tanks, three light sun dresses and a pair of shorts. I brought two tee shirts and a pair of capris. Four swim suits. And underwear for every day because I am not a complete barbarian. :-)

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

My head gets sunburned, so should I wear a hat?

Toni

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

I know you said no jewelry or makeup, but in my experience, a necklace and bracelet combo, plus a little lipstick/gloss & eyeliner is the easiest way to take a look from day to night. My personal packing list for our trip consists of a dressed up simple cotton dress for dinner one night, and the same dress as a beach cover up the next day. Tops and bottoms that can be interchanged to mix up your look are also my go-to -- simple layering tees and tanks, again, dressed up for dinner, go a long way!

Henryville...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

My secret weapon for foot wear - SWITCHFLOPS! Base pair of shoes and a bunch of straps/clips in different colors takes you any wear!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
928 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

I read this hoping I would get some tips because I am a lost cause for overpacking. Every year I try and I fail. And I come home with clothes I did not wear. But I do feel beget knowing I had options. So yah I am no help to you. :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

Been to Aruba (and Europe) many times for 14-17 days. I only pack one piece of checked luggage (under 50 pounds) and one carry-on that fits under the seat. That's all you need. Evening clothes can be worn again since you only wear them for a few hours and 5 pairs of shoes max (sneakers you wear on the plane, beach flip flops, and 3 others.) I refuse to pack more for any trip.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

I am the worst person in the world to even try to reply to your question! I always feel that bringing a little extra gives me the freedom of having a choice. Shoes are my biggest downfall. Again, I like to have a choice. I think on our last trip I packed a pair of flip flops for the beach and 4 other pairs of sandals, maybe 5. Good luck with your packing - being able to do laundry makes a big difference, IMO, in how much to pack, but I'm not even going to give advice :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

I'm curious how many times everyone 'recycles' their evening wear before succumbing to the laundry pile. Two or three times (assuming, to Lori's point, there is no profuse sweating or spillage).

LOL, Lori! Clean unmentionables and my handy tweezer for, er, renegade facial hair are must-packs!

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

When I have to, I have worn a sundress up to 4 times, usually only 3 though. I figure I am in the dress no more than 3 hours and I wear work clothes for at least an 8 hour day, so 3- 3 hour dinners would be 9 hours in the dress and 4- 3 hour dinners would be the equivalent of a 12 hour day.

Bathing suits to me are what shoes are to most other women. ; I pack 4 bathing suits. One suit to wear. The 2nd suit I will have worn the previous day and will still be damp. I rinse my suit in fresh water at the end of each day to get out the salt and chlorine. Tip- the colors will not fade as quickly and I dry my suits in the bathroom not outside. They dry quicker in the air conditioning than outside overnight in the humidity.

Before lunch, a potty break and I would change into my 3rd suit. Dh and I spend a lot of time in the ocean so the morning suit will invariably be damp. How easy is it to get a wet or even damp bathing suit??? <<NOT>> The 4th suit is a spare just like that pair of shoes that you bought even though you did not know what you would wear them with. I take as many cover-ups as I own.

A big thank you to ArubaAmy on the Tide to Go Instant Stain Remover recommendation. Day in day out at home, I swear by RESOLVE® Stain Stick so we carry that in our toiletry bag. Before something goes in the "dirty pile" it gets checked for stains. Rub it on and forget it until we get home.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help a gal out, ladies...

I pack 4-5 swimsuits since they take up very little space. But I only pack one pair of beach flip-flops and only one cover-up (cover-up is only worn to/from the beach so no need for more than one).

Dinner/evening clothes - usually wear those 3-4 times each per trip. As soon as I'm back in the room they go back on a hanger.

And yes, a Tide To Go stick is my best friend! Never leave home on any trip without one. :)