Wife and I enjoyed a recent trip to Aruba, our very first. Here are some thoughts that may help future travelers:
1. We enjoyed the high rise hotel area in Palm Beach, which is where we stayed. Plenty of great restaurants and stores all within walking distance. An all-inclusive package may be unnecessary if staying in this area. It gets festive during the night, but not rowdy. Very safe with lots of tourists walking around.
2. The heat is not as suffocating as we experienced in Mexico. There is always a nice breeze.
3. Do rent a car even if you don't plan to see much of the island. It may be more cost effective and convenient than taking a taxi everywhere. Traffic is negligible.
4. There is a certain Latin feel and vibe to Aruba. This maybe due to the many travelers as well as workers from South America.
5. Avoid the fast food chain restaurants. I believe a Big Mac combo is around $10.
6. Arrive at the airport 3 hours prior to departure. It takes a while due to numerous security checks and having to go through US customs/immigration. Oh and after checking-in your luggage at the airline counter, you'll have to grab them once again for US Customs.