We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Holiday Inn

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Holiday Inn

On itravel2000.com was checking 7 nights at Holiday Inn (carier Sunwing). It's stated that package is All Inclusive, but nothing is specified...

i was wondering if alcohol is also included? Genrally, how good alcohol selection in Holiday Inn?

Is transfer from airport included? If not, how far/expensive to get from airport to Holiday Inn?

How is all inclusive food?

We've never been in Aruba, but visited several times Punta Cana. How is Aruba's resorts comparing to Punta Cana's?

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

I would assume that since the booking said "All Inclusive", that it also includes alcohol as most do. Otherwise it would probably indicate just breakfast, etc. This is from the Holiday Inn website:

This incredible All Inclusive beachfront Aruba package features room accommodation, three delicious meals, daily snacks from morning until evening served at laguna bar, local brand cocktails, and resort amenities. 5.95USD daily energy surcharge included and will be adjusted at checkout.

If you do a search here on the forum regarding the Holiday Inn, I don't think you will find many favorable reviews regarding the food on the All Inclusive plan. Have you looked at the reviews here on TA? Or have you researched the hotel itself? The resorts in Aruba are nothing like the mega resorts in Punta Cana, so it will be quite different if that's what you are expecting.

As far as transfers, whatever site you are booking through would indicate whether transfers are included. A cab is very easy to get at the airport.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 20:44
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

Night and day, Gibot. Aruba and the DR are night and day, and the HI and the PC resorts are night and day.

You need to check the Holiday Inn website to see what is included in the AI package. I can't imagine that alcohol or transfers would be excluded from an AI package. (A taxi would cost $25 US from the airport and take about a half-hour in traffic.)

You should also check the hotel reviews to find what other guests have to say about the food. It's so subjective. If you just eat to re-fuel, you would probably be happy. Most people will tell you NOT to stay AI in Aruba because there are so many restaurants. If dining is important to you, the Holiday Inn may not be your best option. It's very safe to leave your hotel/resort in Aruba.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

What do you mean by "Night and day, Gibot. Aruba and the DR are night and day, and the HI and the PC resorts are night and day.". Could you please expand a little? what is "night" and what is "day"?

Edited: 26 August 2013, 21:51
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

Unless you booked a breakfast only package, yes alcohol is included. Food is just ok. The breakfast buffet is pretty extensive. Depending on the day, lunch is served either in the buffet restaurant or at the outdoor restaurant. Iguana pool/beach also serves burgers, hot dogs, tuna pita. My favorite there were their chicken wings. Dinner either at their Italian restaurant (you have to reserve in the lobby at the guest service desk at 8 am) or at the outdoor restaurant. Some nights there is a theme dinner outdoors by the pool.

If you booked with a travel company you may have paid for transfers. Otherwise taxi from the airport to the H.I. is $25 plus tip. If you have paid for transfers I would try to get the cost refunded and take a taxi.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

I just checked Bahia Principe Esmeralda 5 stars ( one of the best in PC, we have been there ywice and liked it) costs for 3 of us about $600 cheaper than Holiday Inn in Aruba (3.5 stars).

Yes, we would like to try something different , but I just curious if Aruba (specifically HI, as other resorts already much more expensive) worth it?

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

The food is not good at the HI and I found the buffet's have a very limited variety of food. The drinks are LOCAL alcohol only or they charge you a surcharge. It would be hard to give up a place you love, and have to pay $600 more for something you may not like.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

Comparison of "night and day" means very different from one another.

I agree if you paid for transfers to/from airport get a refund and cab it. It's cheaper than transfers and MUCH quicker.

Only you can decide if Aruba is worth the extra expense. If you are going to be comparing the AI resorts of Aruba to those of DR you will be very disappointed.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

Thanks for explaining "night and day," trizi. (Just got home from California and I am WHACKED.)

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

" The drinks are LOCAL alcohol only or they charge you a surcharge." Wow :) It sounds even much worse than Cuba where we've been 10 times and where all foreign alcohol and the best Cuban is included ....

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Holiday Inn

You are looking at a less expensive resort. If you want more take a look at the higher star rated resorts in Aruba. The Ritz Carleton which is just nearing completion now will be opening later this year.

You don't really need all inclusive in Aruba as there are lots of places you can go to eat. It is safe to walk out of any of the resorts and go wherever you like.