We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

What a joke this is , On Friday August 30th we missed our flight to Orlando because of the lack of Immigration Officers . We were at the check in desk for Airtran over two hours before our flight and still missed it ! The line up was very long and there were only three booths open , then eventually six but nowhere near enough to get passengers through in a timely manner . So beware , try and be at the check in three hours before your flight . We learned the hard way.

Gatineau
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

Wow..I will be there three hours ahead.Thanks :)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

Wow, have heard stories of flights being held.

What happened? Why didn't they pull people out of line so planes were not missed?

Glad you did get home.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

I am so sorry. That is a dreadful way to end your vacation. We always get to the airport three hours before our flight. Some times we have had to SIT for two hours at the gate and others we have had to SPRINT to catch the plane. It's a crapshoot for sure. I hope it didn't taint your good memories.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

Nobody was in charge to take control . At every other airport I have been there are stewards calling out flights at a line up like this and pull you to the front . They refused to do this here , only one young girl , she said she could not move us up the line . Other people missed flights and people in line seemed very anxious . We got put on the next Airtran flight to Atlanta and connected to Orlando ( no charge ) but it cost us ( family of five ) six hours ! Also plane to Orlando sat a gate 15 mins after we arrived but the would not let us or other "late" passengers on even though the one girls baggage was already on the plane !

New Jersey
Level Contributor
376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

As the eternal optimist I will say at least it was the flight coming back. Good place to get stuck for an extra day or two:)

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

I'm sorry this happened to you, but if you read this forum at all, posters are always cautioning about getting to the airport at least three hours ahead and there have been warnings about gridlock at the customs point.

I will say and I don't intend this to be witchy, but I'm such a rule follower that it bothers me when we leave Boston and I get up in the dark to be there three hours ahead and they're pulling people behind me out of line and to the check-in desk so they don't miss their flight! Just a bit of a pet peeve.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

So you would rather they missed their flight ? Everybody has different circumstances and as long as we made our flight I do not care if they pull people forward in line to catch their ride home . Here is hoping this never happens to you .The problem is if the USA wants to have customs and immigration in another country ( I do not agree with this ) they should damn well do it right and not like a buch of amatuers that dot not give a crap about people .

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

Wow, what a mess. We have been in line at the airport in Boston for a flight on JetBlue to Aruba, and had to be pulled out of line. This was after we got to the airport 3 hours ahead of time - which is the suggested amount of time. Whether it has to do with lack of employees available or the lack of management control, I don't know. But it never fails that someone is pulled out of line when the security line is extra long and I guess I can't assume they didn't get there on time. Who knows why these things happen.

It is up to the airport personnel to do everything possible to make sure people catch their flights, IMO. I think we all pay enough in airfare to deserve that.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 17:50
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

Sorry you missed your flight. We always arrive at least 3 hours early and have never had any issues.

I too resent when people show up late and get "pulled out." Most of them did not have an emergency and they are just poor planners, so yes Id rather have them miss their flights, sorry.

Those that did arrive 3 hours early and for some reason still wernt through do deserve to get pulled...just to be clear its the person who strolls in late and expects to be taken care of I am talking about missing their flights...

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U.S customs/Immigration at airport...

We arrived to airport 4 hours early. We were 1st in line. Nobody was checking us in at United until about an hour. Then they checked us in and took our luggage and we had reached immigration lines. Picked up our luggage again and started very long and very slow 7-parts line to customs. We stayed in a custom's line for more than an hour, only 4 agents were working. "Diplomat's" line was open and nobody was there and nobody called people to this line! And they had a nerve to stopped us with our toddler when I answer agent's question about food that we have CHEESE (and it's allowed!) sandwiches. Another dreadful delay with already very tired toddler. Quick search and another security line! I wish USA customs never be in Aruba, and at least we could take some normal food with us on a plane. I hate airport food and plane's food and there is no choice. This location should be closed and we should go thru normal USA located customs.