We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

This was my 2nd trip to Aruba and my husband's first and my both of our first times at Eagle Beach.

Our first day was a short one. Our flight arrived on time, we spent 45 minutes in the customs line (longer for us coming in than going out on Saturday - more on that layer.) We don't check bags so as soon as we cleared customs we walked out to taxi dispatch and within 5 minutes we were on our way to MVC eagle beach.

LOTS of construction going on in Oranjestad now so as we drove through town we noted we would not be heading back there on this trip. We aren't shoppers so the appeal of just lingering in the picturesque town was negated by the construction equipment.

On to MVC. We arrived at 3:30 so check in was via the restaurant. No problem! We were given a 2nd floor room with view as requested and there was a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us to celebrate our Anniversary. Very nice. I will do a review of MVC separately but I will say here we would definitely choose this spot again. MVC is definitely located on the prettiest part of the beach (all of Eagle and Palm) and the ease of walking across the street to a palapa and chairs with no hassle and no fee is fantastic.)

Rest of day one: we strolled down the beach to enjoy Passions Beach Bar for happy hour. The BB party started after we had been at the bar for an hour so we met some great folks but most seemed to be from other boards (not TA) and also seemed to know each other so we felt a little shy and opted to stay at our bar position. Still, we had a nice conversation with some lovely folks. I think that BB party is a great idea.

After watching sunset there we strolled back to MVC for dinner at Tulip (fantastic) then called it a night.

Day 2: overcast and absolutely no breeze whatsoever. We decided to walk from MVC to Palm Beach. This was a very easy stroll for us. We walked on the street side until we got to Riu Palace then walked straight down to the beach path. This day we spent entirely on Palm Beach strolling as far as the area past Fisherman's Huts then back just enjoying various bars/restaurants. Our favorites were The Beach Bar, Scots Brat's and Bugaloes. We watched sunset from Bugaloes pier then listened to the band for a bit. We headed back to Eagle Beach on foot - street side again starting just past the Westin - and made a stop at Amsterdam Manors Sunset upper deck bar. Met Vincent, enjoyed the 9pm happy hour then walked back to MVC for the night. The second we hit our room a torrential downpour began.

Day 3: Cloudy, rainy day (still no wind or breeze btw.) we decided to spend a little time on eagle beach then take a walk down as far as we could go to the left (as facing the ocean) which was just under 2 miles. Heading back we stopped at Matthews for lunch and then almost made it back to MVC when the downpour started. It didn't last too long. After a good full-out rain soaking and then a shower to warm up we were back on the beach for the rest of the afternoon with our rum, hammock floats and sunset photo shoot. What I personally learned from our eagle beach walk is the best part of the beach is definitely in front of MVC. I did not find the beach from Manchebo and further south/southeast to be appealing at all.

Day 4: Weather getting much better --- cloudy still but not rain or thunder. We started early at our palapa to enjoy a full day on the beach and then SURPRISE ... Cruise day!! Lol we had so much fun watching the comings and goings. Yes the beach definitely got more crowded but never did we feel like folks were on top of us and never was our little area under threat of being taken over. I will say the jet skis and banana boats were in full force. Stayed here all day reading, floating, people watching. Got lunch from the food truck --- fantastic!! Left only to go back up to Passions Beach Bar for happy hour and sunset viewing.

Day 5: We really planned to do a lot more but this was the day of the most perfect weather - hot sun, no clouds, constant breeze, calm clear water and absolutely empty beach. So this day was total beach chair/beach float immersion. It's why we came. End of day? Happy hour at passions beach bar, sunset viewing from a rock on the volcanic beach area just past passions, a stroll back to "Vincent's" Bar upper deck at AM, stroll back to Tulips for dinner and wine, bed.

Day 6 (Saturday): after a leisurely breakfast at MVC we decided to head on the airport based on all the frightful stories. We left MVC via taxi at 9:30. By 10:45am we had arrived at the airport, checked in at AirTran, gone through Aruba customs and made it to the area just before going through US customs. The sign said not to get in line before 2 hours and our flight was not until 2:09. So, beer time. We had a couple then made it back to the US customs entrance at 11:45. Still early but we headed to the line. We were out of US customs in 25 minutes. There were plenty of agents, the line moved constantly and all was pleasant. We were airside and in the VIP room with plenty of time for some beverages, snack and relaxation before the flight. As I stated earlier in this review, we had a longer wait at customs entering Aruba than leaving. All in all it was a very pleasant airport experience.

Our overall impressions of Aruba: Eagle Beach is lovely, Palm Beach is fun for exploring for a day but we prefer Eagle Beach for overall water/sand, the people are very nice, we would choose MVC again and we had an enjoyable visit with absolutely nothing to complain about. I will say... It does not take the place of Anguilla or St John on our list but there is really no comparison and given the right airfare costs and timing we will definitely return. Thanks to all on this forum who helped us in our planning!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Glad it went well and sounds like you will be back.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Ooh sorry for the typos in my report and YES Jayd.... We will definitely be back. Aruba is just such an easy, relaxing getaway with very welcoming people.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Thank you so much for your trip report and so glad you had a good time. We will be at MVC for two weeks the last week of January, first week of February. Nice to hear a glowing review. I am a walker as well and would walk down to Palm Beach every day when we stayed at Amsterdam Manor. Enjoyed it immensely. Thanks again!

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,492 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Thanks for the report. Glad you had no airport problems.

Welcome home

New York
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

that is one thing I also like about Aruba is that it is an easy island to get around. definately a place that you can relax. I also liked ST John, not so much Anguilla, though the beach we went to was beautiful!

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Glad you had a good trip! I have always said I would think about staying at MVC because the price always seems to be right. Funny you comment about not being fond of the beach after Manchebo. IMO, we love that stretch of beach when walking, as it winds in and out and isn't so straight.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

jl - to be fair, the day we walked that way was "stormier" so the water in that area seemed more churned up, lots of Seagrass on the beach and absolutely packed with people vs down by MVC. So my opinion is not as experienced as more frequent travelers to the area. All in all, the entire Eagle Beach is a fantastic walking beach.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

thank you

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
405 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Thanks for your report and glad that you had a good trip.

Albany NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 9/2 - 9/7 at MVC Eagle Beach

Thanks for your report. We have MVC Eagle booked for a week in March. Can't beat the price and glad to hear all was well there! It'll be our first time to Aruba..excited!