We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental options

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental options

Hello...I am going to be in Aruba for 10 days and am wondering if I should rent a car for all of those days? I got a deal for $236 for those 10 days. My husband and I are not the type to stay at the resort all day, but I realize that we may do a few excursions. Is it best to take taxis and the bus everywhere or does the cost over 10 days amount to what we would have spent for a car rental. Any advice is appreciated.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental options

Since it will be your first experience, maybe you should rent a car for 5 days. I assume that you are staying in a hotel on Eagle or Palm Beach. Personally, I prefer to take a guided tour of the island. Check out the various options offered by ABC Jeep Tours.

New York
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental options

That is always a good question and one I myself debate. We have decided to rent a car for our entire stay. That is a great price for 10 days. What company did you rent with?

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental options

We just prefer to have a car handy.

We do not want to wait for buses on our vacation.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental options

Good price for the car. We like having a car. Works for us.

Enjoy your trip.

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental options

That sounds like a good price, I would rent the car for the whole time. We did when we were there two years ago. We explored the whole island and it was the best vacation we ever had.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental options

Thanks so much.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental options

I can't imagine being on the island without a vehicle. We like to be able to go where we want when we want including the grocery store. You obtained a great price; enjoy and explore the island.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
636 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental options

We are debating the same thing. We are staying for two weeks (at the Marriott) and initially had a car booked for the 1st week. We are wondering if we should have it for the entire time. It would be an additional $182 for the 2nd week. What are your opinions?

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
753 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental options

Additional $182 seems a bit steep, but w/o a car and getting back to the airport for departure from the Mariott will probably be a $30 cab ride, plus tip. Maybe you should look into shopping around for a better deal on a 2 week rental. Research other companies: Tropic seems to be popular. We used Econo which many people here don't like, but we've rented twice with them w/o a problem. Some dents and scratches, but got us around and had great A/C. We enjoy having a car for our entire stay. Good Luck!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
636 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental options

$182/week steep for February? I was thinking this was a pretty good deal. That would be $364 for 2 weeks. When I looked at Budget it was $450 and Payless was $540 so I thought I was doing okay :(

No?