We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranquillo

New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tranquillo

I have been to Aruba many times, but have not been on the Tranquillo. Can others that have been on the lunch/snorkel tour answer a couple of questions for me?

1- Is there any shade to sit under while sailing? (I get a bad reaction to too much sun)

2- How was the drift snorkeling? Is it hard to hold on or to breath trough your snorkel (heard that the water was a bit rough)

4- Is it hard to get on/off the boat? Is there a ladder or steps?

I would appreciate any input - I have some physical limitations, but have snorkeled off off boats-some easier than others for me. This trip appeals to me because I enjoy a more laid back experience and would like to see Mike's reef and Lagoon.

Thanks!

MAW Island Tour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Aruba Go Cherry ATV Tours & More
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tranquillo

You can sit in the cabin to get shade.

I wanted DESPERATELY to do the drift snorkeling but I wasn't confident enough. That was a mistake, according to those on our excursion who went. *I DID have a lot of fun with the rum punch and Dwayne, though...*

It was, according to them, actually easier than the "independent" snorkeling.

It is not hard at ALL to get into the water--there is a ladder. I'm 52 and I have kind of wonky knees. If I can do it, YOU can do it.

The food was great and the size of the group made for a very congenial trip.

We LOVED sailing on Tranquilo and would do it again in a New York minute.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 23:46
Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tranquillo

Thanks for replying so quickly Lori - Good to know I will be able to get on/off without too much trouble.

Was there any shade?-I get a terrible sun reaction rash, but guess I can always put on long sleeves.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tranquillo

There is shade and seats in the back of the boat near Capt Anthony.

We loved the Tranquilo! The current just takes you on the drift snorkel so you really don't have to do anything but float. Anthony will be ahead of you in the dinghy while you do the drift snorkle. Getting into the dinghy is a bit tricky/awkward. Just make sure you're the first one back in so you can chuckle at everyone else. LOL!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tranquillo

Thank you! - sorry I missed the first sentence where you said there was shade!

Much appreciation to you both!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tranquillo

The drift snorkel was fun and a unique experience. My question to you would be how confident would you feel in a more open water setting? The water can be a bit deeper than maybe you are used to and can be somewhat intimidating. Three people in our group of nine didn't/couldn't complete the drift snorkel because they were too nervous. Just remember to keep popping your head out of the water every now and then so you can keep track of the dinghy that's ahead of you. I caught a nice glimpse of a decent sized barracuda, but I didn't hang around long enough to become friendly. To Amy's point, getting into the dinghy is hilarious Also don't be the last one in line either since there is no one behind you, just the open water and barracudas.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tranquillo

From my last trip report ...

"The procedure for getting back into the dinghy is thoroughly explained. You snorkel and drift more or less follow the direction of Captain Anthony's dinghy. When time is up the Captain, with your help by kicking with your fins, literally hauls you back on to the dinghy. The idea is to kick with your fins in order to get you high enough out of the water to allow the Captain to pluck you up in order for you to be able to swing one leg over the side.

Dh was the first to get back on and kicked his fins so hard that the Captain could haul him up, but dh nearly went flying clear over the other side of the dinghy. I, on the other hand, ended up on the side as I was supposed to, but went I went to pull my second leg over as instructed I ended up on the floor of the dinghy. It is more than likely going to be one of the least graceful things you are going to do in life but it is better than being stranded out in the ocean. I was happy to be back aboard and it was only the Captain, dh and dd already on board, so no audience.

We especially did not feel bad when we saw the men coming back aboard as gracefully as I. <<NOT>> I felt terrific after watching a svelte young 20 something on her honeymoon land back in the dinghy EXACTLY the same way I did!"

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tranquillo

as much as I love my shore snorkeling up at Boca Catalinne(will be there Tuesday woo hoo), my favorite snorkel "trip" has been with Captain Anthony and the Tranquilo. The drift snorkel was amazing. The water is not rough at all. It does however get rather deep. It was kind of surreal. I felt like a very small fish in a big aquarium with all of the big fan corals and such... definitiely worth a try for you!

Hope to be able to go this trip. They are dry docked for sprucing up for the next week and a half or so.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tranquillo

The shade at the back of boat can only sit maybe like 4-5 peoples. If you definitely need a seat there, better be at dock early to be the first one in line.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tranquillo

Wow thanks to OP for asking this question. I am going jan 25 and have booked a trip on Tranquillo and had the same questions. The replies gave me the answers I needed. Thank you guys!

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tranquillo

We're booked on the 30th. Thanks for all of the information. We are really looking forward to it!

Edited: 19 January 2014, 15:18