We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

We'll be doing a boat tour but would also like to do some snorkelling on our own - likely at Boca Catalina and Baby Beach - any other recommendations? I thought I had read somewhere on here that Baby Beach can be dangerous - seems like an oxymoron ;) but now I can't find it. I'd like to maybe rent life jackets, depending on how dangerous it can be - any ideas on where and prices? Thanks to all for the help! Both are accessible by bus? Any idea how long the ride is from the Hyatt?

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
309 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

When we went this past September we snorkeled at Baby Beach, and Arashi beach. Both are very nice, but take water shoes to Arashi since there seems to be alot of broken shells there on the beach. Trust me I didn't wear mine and ended up with a piece of shell in my foot when I stepped on one. If you go past the rope line at Baby Beach and swim/snorkel towards the rocks... that's were there are strong currents (riptide), you will find many postings about it. But if you snorkel just off the beach you will be fine.

We did a sunset cruise and loved it, but not sure where they took us, but it one spot was near Malmok I believe. When you go on your own be sure to take some bread or something to feed the fish. Trust me you will have plenty of fish to see and take pictures of! Enjoy!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

Thanks - I'm getting super excited. We just completed our scuba training so we'll be getting dive boots and strap on fins so our feet will be protected. Which sunset cruise did you go on?

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

Hi, you will love Aruba.. but, just fair warning, snorkeling at the island is fair at best. If you have nothing else to compare it too you will be fine. But, if you have been to other spots in the Caribbean or Hawaii you will be very disappointed.

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
309 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

We went on the black pearl. Love the sunset cruise.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
826 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

Snorkel with Aruba Bob, you'll see their operation, including underwater footage in this video:

bentpage.net/2013/…

Enjoy!

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

If you are snorkeling Baby Beach, I believe there are now signs indicating the 'safe zone', otherwise, the rule of thumb is not to venture out near the opening for fear of being sucked out by the currents.

At Baby Beach, check JADS Dive Shop for vest rentals. At the opposite end of the island you can check with Aruba Watersports Center for rentals.

Even if you only snorkel from the beach at Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove and Arashi, you should be just fine.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

Thanks everyone!

SanNic44 - although he gets amazing reviews I think we are going to skip a coast based snorkel and attempt to do some wreck and drift snorkelling tours and do the beaches on our own. As we will also be diving the costs are being to creep our of the comfort zone.

Tawneygirl426 - I think we are going to do the Black Pearl!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

Gotta say that each time we go to Aruba we go to Boca Catalina via car...have our own equipment and spend hours snorkeling there. Every time that we would snorkel there we would find different things to explore. We just returned from a trip in September and spend every day along that same stretch. It was perfect. My husband also does his diving with Unique Sports if you are looking for some suggestions. They are a great group of people. Not a big fan of snorkeling at Baby Beach though. Have a great trip! And you will really love The Black Pearl!

ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

The last two times we were there we took a local bus out to Boca Catalina. Bus runs every hour, for the return bus you can see it heading North where it turns around. This gives you about 5 minutes to gather your stuff and get to the stop. Loved that spot. My wife doesn't like to snorkel, so she just swam, nice little beach with shade. I snorkeled for hours. I put a little soft sided cooler in my luggage to use there. I put a few beers, water snacks etc. in the cooler, some ice from the resort and we enjoyed hours there. Went about 9 am and returned about 1:30 for lunch at the resort. Enjoy !

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
309 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snokelling from the beach recommendation/dangers?

I think you will really enjoy the black pearl! Would love to hear your thoughts of it when you return.