We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
488 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

Our cruise ship is offering a cycle trip around Aruba but it says it's 20 miles!! I've not been on a bike for a good while and don't know if I can manage that!! So 1: is Aruba flat(ish!) and 2: if we decide not to take the trip can we safely hire bikes and ride round ourselves? Oh and 3: is there somewhere near where the cruise ships dock to hire bikes?

Thanks in advance!!

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

If your excursion takes you into Arikok National Park there are MANY hills bordering on small mountains. The leeward side of the island is flat, though you will still be contending with the wind.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k6965…

Edited: 06 November 2013, 20:45
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

Also consider the heat and sun exposure. My husband, who is an avid runner, has had the heat get the better of him. In most areas, you will find yourself riding in full sun.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

http://abc-aruba.com/

Instead of a bike. More expensive, but a great way to see Aruba. Pick up and drop off at cruise terminal.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

If you do not cycle on a regular basis the combination of heat, wind, and potential hills would make the 20 mile ride seem awful IMO. Does not seem like a good idea based on the fact you are unsure you can do it....have fun.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
488 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

Yeh, maybe cycling is not the best idea!! I used to cycle a bit and I walk regularly but given the whole conditions, hills, heat etc I think I will be giving the bike a miss! Will have a look at the link posted tonight, thanks!!

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

Would not recommend biking Aruba for a cruise ship excursion. There are other ways to see just about as much or more in a far more comfortable and safer fashion such as a guided or private tour - check them out.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

Our first trip we rented a jeep and toured the island and saw all the sights....our last 8 trips we bearly leave our hotel area other than dinning etc.... Good choice not cycling the island.

8. Re: Another bike question, and is Aruba flat?!?! ;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:19