We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

toronto
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

We are staying at an all-inclusive resort for a week in Feb./14. What is expected in the way of tipping during our stay? Do you have to carry small bills with you to tip bartenders throughout the day? Are you expected to tip at the restaurants at the resort? Thanks for any advice.

New York
Level Contributor
902 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Yes and yes.

toronto
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

What would be a typical tip for 2 drinks? How much would you typically tip at the a la carte restaurants?

New York
Level Contributor
902 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

$1 for two drinks. $5 for a la carte dinner. Also, please don't forget the maid that cleans your room everyday. We usually leave $5 each day for the maid. If you leave the maid tip at the end of your stay, you don't know if it was the maid you had all week. Everyone will have a different opinion.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

When we stayed at the Tamarijn, it was made clear to us that tips were NOT expected. Boy, were they appreciated, though. Shirleyk8 is kind of the tipping goddess here; I think her advice is sound.

toronto
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies. I'll make sure I have lots of small bills with me on the trip.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

I saved this from my Mexico forum post, hope it will help here. Just remember, tip for good service, not to get good service.

"You are going to get a lot of different advice about tipping at an AI, the best advice I can offer is to tip what you feel comfortable with.

Some will tip more, some won't tip at all because they have booked an "all inclusive" which states (or they have been told by their travel agent) that all tips are included.

$2 per day for housekeeping

$1 per day for turn down service at night

$2 - $4 for bell boy depending on amount of luggage

$1 - inside mini fridge because the housekeeper usually doesn't do this

$2 - for buffets if you mainly serve yourself

$5 - for a la carte restaurants

$2 - for wait service at the beach, pool, or bar, but not for every round

Sometimes we'll tip other staff you normally wouldn't think of tipping, like the bathroom attendant, gardeners, person who sweeps up around the resort or on the beach, etc. If you do this, do it discreetly, you don't want to embarrass anyone.

If I've missed anyone, I'm sure others will chime in."

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

We always bring 50 in singles, you would be surprised how fast you go thru them.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

I LOVE mo32's first paragraph.

I want to add that the standard of living in Mexico is much lower than in Aruba and perhaps the amount should be ratcheted up a bit.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Lori12309 - The OP asked about tipping at AI, and even though the standard of living is higher in Aruba, the cost of the resorts are also higher, thus your initial "AI tip payment that is supposedly included in your rate" would be higher. I wouldn't tip at an AI the way I would at a non AI. If it wasn't AI I would tip as we do back home, 15-20%, regardless of whether it is Mexico or Aruba.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

Point well taken, mo32!

And don't you wish tipping weren't customary ANYWHERE??

Edited: 17 November 2013, 23:22