We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Holiday Inn?

NBN
Northeast
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Westin or Holiday Inn?

Trying to decide between the Westin or Holiday Inn for a trip a couple of weeks from now. From what I have been reading, the Westin has many rooms in need of renovation, while the Holiday Inn is in the midst of a renovation. Westin would cost a little bit more per night.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

Thats a total Toss up for me. I don't like to be anywhere when there is construction going on. HI is in a great location and the new pool is really nice. It puts you within a short walking distance to many restaurants and activities. Westin is on the other end of Palm Palm beach but still is in a decent Walking distance to the same. When would you be going?

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

My sister and her husband stayed at the Westin in July (we were at the Radisson at the same time.) I thought the hotel looked a little tired, but it was perfectly fine for their needs. It's a LITTLE more "upscale" than the HI, but I think I would opt for the latter--if I could get some assurance that the construction wouldn't interfere with my vacation.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

Depends on when you are going.

Renovations for Holiday Inn should be finished really soon and the renovations I saw so far in October looked fantastic.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 03:24
Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
757 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

I remember someone had recently posted that the renovations for the H/I were suppose to be done mid Dec before high season starts. I would call the hotel directly and check. Remember it is island time so construction could be taking longer.

I would give H/I the edge. I find the beach area to be nicer than the Westin. It always seems to be a little more windy on the Westin beach. The Westin is a little bit more of a walk to the restaurants, bars, and malls. H/I is probably a little more economical too. Good Luck!

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

Westin was bought by the RIU recently and will be remodeled next year. If the HI is cheaper, go for it as it is about completed with renovations.

NBN
Northeast
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

Thanks for the replies. The trip is actually next week, so it sounds like construction at Holiday Inn will not be complete. Westin would be about $20 more per night for a "limited view" room, while Holiday Inn is a "city" view.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

Which view isn't of the dumpsters?

I would take the HI purely for location...And really, how much bother can construction be (if at all) when you are out of the room all day anyway?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

There are so many reviews of the Westin complaining of musty smelling rooms, I for one would not want to chance it, esp if you're going with the lowest priced room. Holiday Inn's facebook page has a lot of pictures and if you send them a message, they are good about responding.

Halifax...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

Having just gotten home from staying at both hotels I would actually give the Westin the edge. We only stayed at the HI for one night because our flight to Boston was cancelled, but the construction was a nuisance. I can't imagine sitting on the beach all day with all that noise. If you are there to relax, this isn't the place to do it. Also, our rooms smelled like cigarettes so we had to be moved. And the pools close at 7:00 pm, which seems early to me. The security guard kicked me and my children out of the pool at 7:15 after we had spent ALL DAY at the aiport due to a delayed/cancelled flight.

The Westin does smell musty and is a little tired looking. The pool and beach area are nice, so if that is where you are spending your time, then I would pick the Westin.

The WiFi was awful at both locations. At the Westin I had to sit on the balcony to get the WiFi and it was spotty - at the HI I had to be inside the room and it seemed to work a little better.

The breakfast buffets at both places are similar, and they both are within walking distance to all the other restaurants.

Hope this helps.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin or Holiday Inn?

we were just there last week and walked by the HI almost every night after dinner (10 -10:30 ish) and they were still working at that hour. Lots of tarps hanging over a beach bar being renovated. I would check with the HI before booking!