We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
295 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

We were on Aruba for the first time last week, staying at Oceania, located across the street from Eagle Beach. Nice 1 Bed 1 Bath condo with a great ocean view. The Beach Tennis Tournament took up most of Eagle Beach so we were only over there the day before the tournament began. The rest of the week, we drove 30 min. to Baby Beach. So worth the trip! Calm, clear water, good snorkeling, not crowded, great shade tree to sit under. The "Flintstone" themed beach restaurant was a great spot for a quick lunch. Thanks to Raquel from Prestige Realty for recommending Screaming Eagle for our first night in Aruba. They set the bar high and only Windows on Aruba was a close second to the delicious food and wonderful service (at both restaurants!). I highly recommend both. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy our dinner at Sunset Grill and our lunch at Gilligan's Beach Restaurant, also at the Radisson, was very disappointing. Lunch cost $55 for a salad with grilled chicken (which was dry and tasteless) and Nachos that had very little ground beef, along with one glass of wine and one mixed drink. Driftwood was a nice casual restaurant with very good food. Ling & Sons Grocery store is the best stocked store in the Caribbean! We visited the National Park which was well worth the $10 pp they charge. We saw birds, goats, caves, crashing waves, and wind turbines. Posters are correct in stating that you should get to the airport at least three hours before departure (on the weekends). It took us 45 min. to check-in, and another 1-1/2 hours to get thru security, US Customs, and security again, before arriving at the gate printed on our boarding pass, which they then changed!! It's nice to go thru customs in Aruba but after landing in Atlanta, we then had to go to the International terminal to pick up our luggage. Then board a small passenger van for a 10 min. ride to get back to the main terminal to pick up a shuttle van to the hotel where our car was parked. We landed at 8:00 and didn't get to our car until 9:30! Oh, and the two and four year olds kicking our seats during most of the flight! Air travel is not easy these days! But a week away in warm weather with beautiful blue oceans was well worth the hassles of travel !

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Great report. Sorry the radissons food was subpar

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,021 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Sounds like a great vacation! :)

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Thanks for the report-enjoyed reading it! Hope you'll be back, but minus the seat-kickers!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Great first Trip, Just missed you at Oceania! Did you walk down and check out any of the Beach Tennis Tournament? It looked like a great party especially Sunday night.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

We have had our share of seat kickers. My tolerance is zero. Fortunately, my wife is much more diplomatic. When she notices my face changing color, she will use her considerable charm to ask the kickers to stop. She has been successful.

So, aside from that and the return hassle, it seems that you had a very enjoyable trip. Many happy returns.

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Thanks for your report. Enjoyed reading it and glad that you had a good time. Its a shame that you didn't enjoy some of your dinners.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Tony I am the same exact way and HATE being kicked. My wife is nicer as well but will cringe as I turn around and ask them to stop kicking me if it happens more than once.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

jay...., my wife acts before I have a chance. LOL. Once, I jumped up and spun around ready to blast the person behind me. He was asleep and his little son was the culprit. I would have looked pretty stupid.

Another time, some woman was making lame excuses for her lame husband. My wife no longer takes chances. She handles it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Funny, lol. I can handle loud talking, laughing but no kicking...must be a personal space issue.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 21:11
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 11/9 - 11/16

Sounds like a great trip!!!

Seat kicking can land me in jail!!!! In my case, my husband is the one who handles those situations...LOL. Tony, I would have spun around saw the kid and still went crazy.....see what I'm saying?? J.A.I.L.