We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

My boyfriend and I (upper 20's/ early 30's) will be staying at my father's timeshare in Oranjestad for a week this coming March. We are interested in getting off the island for a day trip or possibly an over night stay. It would appear as though our primary options are either Bonaire or Curacao. I saw that Tiara Air offers day trips to both Bonaire and Curacao and was curious as to whether anyone has taken either of these and if the day trip is worth it. I also found that flights through Insel Air to both Bonaire and Curacao are reasonably priced so an overnight trip could also be possible. To make a long story short my questions are:

1. Should we leave Aruba at all?

2. If we do leave Aruba should we visit Bonaire or Curacao?

3. Should we consider doing one of Tiara Air's day trips? - OR - Should we do an over night stay? If so do we need to organize a guided tour, or would we be able to explore on our own?

Wix Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Kini Kini Transfer & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Justin's ATV Rental and Tours
Equipment Hire, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

I would see everything Aruba has to offer if this was my first trip there. Even though those islands are close I myself would not to spend the extra time going back and forth with only 7 days total.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

Stay in Aruba. JMO.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

There have been some horror stories lately regarding Tiara Air - here's a recent thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k6930…

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

QUESTION 1: You are probably better off not leaving ARUBA.

QUESTION 2: Curacao and Bonaire are very different. Bonaire is primarily for snorkeling or other aquatic intersests and it is very nice for that. There is a little site seeing that can be done as well. Curacao is a lot like Aruba but a bit less developed and less safe for a variety of reasons.

QUESTION 3: TIARA AIR is very unreliable and this should be the determining factor in your analysis because it is a bit difficult getting to Bonaire on their flights since they usually go through Curacao and there is no guarantee that connections will be made. And flights to Curacao are occasionally cancelled or rescheduled and you could wind up stranded there for a day or so. Our flight was cancelled three times before we were able to make it there - as nice as Curacao is (in our opinion) the hassle simply is not worth it. If you opt to go, then you are advised to do a guided tour in Curacao and in Bonaire either do a pre-arranged guided tour or grab a taxi that will be readily available when you get there (many serve as tour guides of sorts).

Hope this is helpful.

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

Wow, thank you all for the fast replies! I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think we will go with the general consensus and stay in Aruba!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

We did a day trip to Curacao a couple of years ago and loved it. We used Tiara Air (no problems and on time)...left Aruba at 7:30am and arrived Curacao at 8am. We had Dutch friends staying there at the time so they picked us up and we drove all over the island going to various beaches, lunch spots, toured downtown, etc. We liked it because it was much more European than Aruba. Took the 8pm flight back and in Aruba again by 8:30pm. Fun day and hope to go back again soon.

Now having said that, we have been to Aruba many times and normally stay approx 2 weeks per trip. If I was only staying in Aruba for one week and it was my first trip there, then I would concentrate on all there is to see and do in Aruba first and leave Curacao for a future trip.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

Agree with the general consensus, First time on Aruba for 7 days, stay there and save the Island hoping for your return trip.

New York
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

If only in Aruba of 7 days, stay and enjoy. Stayed in Curacao for 8 days, traveled around the island without a guide and never felt unsafe.

9. Re: Day trip or overnight stay off Aruba.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 06:18