We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Star viewing

I'll be in Aruba in a few weeks and would like to photograph the night sky. The moon will be pretty full, but I might be able to get shoot before the moon rises.

Is there anyplace fairly close to Oranjestad that would be dark - far enough from the city lights - to see the milky way? (I will have a car)

thanks,

bert

n.y.
Level Contributor
981 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star viewing

I've seen some pretty full moons on Palm Beach in the middle of the day . Sorry I couldn't resist it .

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star viewing

I am sure there are a few areas you could go to without lots of light. Because it is close to our house we head up towards the light house but park off the road just before heading up the hill to the lighthouse.

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star viewing

Best star gazing we have experienced in Aruba was on a boat off the South Coast. I would imagine the land areas there would be good too - but the South Coast is as far away from the Oranjestad as one can get and I am not sure how safe it is at night.

We have also experienced good star gazing in the POS CHIQUITO/SAVANETA areas - especially while dining at Marina Pirata.

The LIGHTHOUSE area is another possibility (as mentioned in Response #2) but we have never had any good luck there (or even further down the hill) and we suspect that is because of the lights from the Palm Beach area - but it is worth a try. There is also an area on the way to the Lighthouse that looks over the Dunes and that might be a viable spot though we would be a bit concerned about its orientation.

Good luck. Have a great vacation, let us know how it worked out, and please post some of the pictures you do get.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star viewing

We have done wonderful star gazing on many nights (after 11pm) right on Eagle Beach. We usually take a glass of wine to the water's edge and grab a couple of chairs and enjoy the wine, the quiet, and the stars.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star viewing

Your best chance would be from any area which is less inhabited primarily Arikok National Park where there are no street lights.

Your best bet is to use wikimapia.org/…b as a guide to uninhabited areas and try to find an area furthest away from the lit areas, yet flat enough where your sky will not be block by any hills (for example Jamanota or Hooiberg).

Also see the article at caribbeanastronomy.com/resources/6%20Benefit… for the explanation of why you would want an area at sea level so that you avoid distortion.

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Star viewing

Arubalisa - is Arikok accessible during the evenings? We would have recommended it as well, but it has been a while since we have been there and were not sure.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Star viewing

Arikok Park is technically only open from 8am-4pm.

New York
Level Contributor
773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Star viewing

I was in Arikok Park in October, We entered on the southern road by the wind turbines. Although there was a small hut I cant remember if there was a gate. However, they have lined the road with rocks to prevent going off road.

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Star viewing

Thanks AMY and SUE for your responses. Now that raises one other question, though the roadways may be lined to avoid going off them, SUE, did you have any difficulties navigating about the place in the relative dark (I realize that the car had lights) and were you driving a 4X4 or Jeep or just a regular car? As I recall, there are some rough areas in the Park.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 14:35
New York
Level Contributor
773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Star viewing

Did not venture in after dark. They have greatly improved the main road going through the park. A long portion of the road is asphalt with deep rain gullies for drainage, so going is slow. There are many dirt off roads, but not that adventurous. LOL If you explore the island from the north end by the Light House, the roads are sand and get washed out resulting in some area with large exposed rocks that can do a job on the undercarriage of a typical car. We had to turn back one year due to road conditions. However, over the years we have traveled the back roads with both a small car and a jeep. Because the bus tour travels roads to the Gold Mines and Natural Bridge, the road are in much better condition. (guess I went a little off the OP's subject, sorry)