We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

Adelanto, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

We are going to Aruba next month and trying to decide on buying our bath products before and paying the $25 checked bag each way with Airtran's or waiting until we arrive. I am talking about, Lotions, Soaps, Shampoo, Mouthwash, Deodorant, Hairspray, Suntan lotion, Ect. We have a very short layover in Atlanta and I am worried that any checked baggage might miss the flight, But We could use the empty baggage space for gifts on the way home. Are most of these items a lot more expensive in Aruba or not enough to worry about and just buy what we need when we get there. Thanks

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

Where are you staying? We don't bring shampoo, soap, lotion, mouthwash because the hotels we stay at provide them. We DO bring sunscreen. I don't use "product" on my hair (Aruba is NOT kind to hair) so unless you use shellac, I would skip the hairspray. It won't help.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

We fly to Aruba twice a year and always have a short layover in Atlanta on the way (we use Delta) of about one hour. Knock on wood, we've never had any issues with the luggage.

I'm picky about my "products" so I always pack my own. And contrary to what Lori said above, I do use hairspray and it DOES work. :)

New York
Level Contributor
967 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

IMHO I would purchase the products I want and like at home. Suntan lotion is the one item you will need a lot of and that alone will come close to the $25. Unless you are only staying a few days, then in that case I would buy the small travel size containers (3 oz.) of products and put them in your carry on luggage.

Adelanto, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

Tropicana

Adelanto, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

Tropicana

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

Travel sizes in your carry on.

I also spray my hair until the wind backs down and walks away! I win that fight every time! :)

Edited: 11 December 2013, 03:06
Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

What make of Hairspray do you people use? Last year the kind I had didn't work for me, Everyday was a bad hair day : -(

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

check out: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k6678…

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

Finesse Extra Hold - works in Aruba without getting heavy/sticky.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth waiting until we get there, What have you done ?

I use that stick-on Velcro stuff on my toupee and chest fur...I buy it at Home Depot.

(Before I go to Aruba, I send it to my stylist via FedEx...She does some foil in red and blue and cuts it into an easy to maintain bob, so I can spend hairspray money on Balashi!)