We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

If you were me, would you send a letter to the airlines on this one or just let it be?

Coming home from ARUBA on the last leg of our flight the passenger in the seat in front of me fully reclined his seat as soon as he sat down and refused to fasten his seat belt on take off-ok-I probably would not really have noticed except he coughed so hard the ENTIRE trip is seat was moving, literally. We have all flown with a cold, this was not that or so it seems-but ok. as we approach the time to land the flt attendant approaches again! She tells him to bring his seat up, tray up, fasten seat belt. No response... I look at her as what again, no rules .......she says to me under her breath he is not compliant, YOU THINK! I am aghast as I believe the rules are for all who fly these days. she then takes her seat for landing, again he has his seat fully reclined and no seat belt on! We land and it is so much fun to try and get out of your aisle with a guy whose seat is fully reclined. Is it me or not? If one person chooses to not follow any rules why should the rest? Wasn't this a safety issue if nothing else? I ask this question before I send off a useless letter to the airline asking why this was allowed?? And I stand prepared to be "flamed" by those who say live and let be! I just have never seen anything like this before! And if there are no rules to be enforced on the plane, then what the heck!! I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

Did any of the passengers around him say anything? What about the people he was with?

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
418 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

The airlines don't care when they leave you stranded somewhere due to mechanical failure. They surely won't care about this.

Use your time better by spitting into the wind.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

I have had rude, inconsiderate people in front of me keep their seats reclined the entire flight. I doubt a letter to the airlines would do any good especially if you did not directly complain to the flight attendant and made sure you got her/his name. In a situation like this or if someone next to me has a cold I always request to move to another seat. I assume this was not possible on your flight.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

yes I have to believe you are right! I just needed to "vent" my humble opinion on line to others to make sure I was not losing my mind for sure!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

Yes not possible on this flight on the tiny plane, and yes I did make my feelings clear to the flight attendant, although did I really have to? Thanks so much for the response, just trying to work this out in my mind and no better place than this forum!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

He appeared to be alone-no one next to him. Those around him and us were looking and making eye contact when possible with the flt attendant, who because of the 55 min flt (we sat on run way an hour and half before departing) never left her seat at the front of the plane! Guess I am a dinosaur, I can put up with rude loud passengers, kids kicking my seat, etc but have never seen a passenger just refuse to follow safety procedures that on a small small plane do extend to everyone. Thanks so much for your input!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

I find this hard to believe because any decent flight attendant would have gone to report this to the pilot and some course of action would have been taken. They are trained for things like this (non compliant or unruly passengers) and something should have been done. You should have gotten the flight attendant's name and reported her to the pilot as you were getting off the plane, and then again to the airline, before you left the airport. Totally unacceptable. There are reasons they don't want the seat reclined during takeoff and landing. It won't do you any good to report it now because I'm sure the flight attendant will deny it and they'll wonder why you didn't report it at the time.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

I would have raised the ROOF. You are entitled to travel in comfort and safety, and this jerk's disregard of airline policy should have earned him a reprimand from the pilot. And a mark on his Permanent Record.

If the flight attendant failed to act, I believe I might have been childish enough to KICK HIS SEAT until the plane landed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

Lmao, kicking his seat would have been the start for me, lol.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 01:45
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unbelievable flight home from Aruba-need opinions

IMHO I would still report it. It is a safety hazard and at least a complaint will be documented. The airline can then choose to handle it as they see fit.