We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

Sometime in the next 12 months we are looking into renting an apartment/condo for 60 days. We will book on line when we have found a suitable place near one of the beaches and pay the deposit so will have proof that we are staying at a particular address.

We see that you need to be granted an extension to stay longer than 30 days. Naturally we need to apply for those extra 30 days.

Part of the statement made on the DIMAS web site is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extension of stay upon entry.

Upon entry in Aruba, the following persons can apply for an extension of their stay for more than 30 days but not exceeding 180 days:

- The migration officer, can grant an extension for up to 90 days if he is satisfied that the visitor has sufficient funds to cover his extended stay.

- All tourists who apply for an extension of their stay beyond 30 days are required to have travel insurance (medical and liability) valid for the duration of the extended stay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are from the UK and both aged 71. We always have travel and medical and liability insurance to cover the worst case scenario, so that criteria is covered.

My question is: How does the migration officer satisfy himself we have sufficient funds to cover our stay? We never carry much cash and withdraw any monies we need using a UK Halifax Clarity MasterCard (at an ATM) that has no currency surcharges whatsoever. We used it all the time for our 60 day stay in Thailand and will be doing the same for 60 days in the Dominican Republic in a few weeks time.

Please understand we are being cautious and do not want to fall foul of local laws through ignorance and do not want to be told that we do not have proof of funds so cannot stay. Naturally we will have in our possession the return ticket already paid for proving the 60 return date.

Am I being over cautious?

Mentioned in this post
MAW Island Tour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Aruba Go Cherry ATV Tours & More
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

You are not being too cautious, but I suggest that you pose your question to persons more suitable to provide reliable answers. I would start with my financial institution and would write to Aruba DIMAS. JMO.

Spartanburg, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

Color me green; both jealous of your 60 day stay and no knowledge of procedures for staying more than a week :( Kidding; I'm sure you'll find the info and comply and hope you have a wonderful stay in beautiful Aruba.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

The last two years we have stayed for 12 weeks & 9 weeks, and in 2014 staying for 10 weeks and have never applied for an extension and have never purchased travel insurance. We fill out the form and write in how many nights we are staying, but that is all. My bf is a home owner on the island but I don't think that matters.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

" bf is a home owner on the island but I don't think that matters."

It does matter.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

Maybe it matters for him but my name is not on the property and I have never bought travel insurance or applied for an extension.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

Thank you for the replies. Regrettably some of them only fill the thread up and do not help me. No offence meant, but I need to know the answer. This question must have been asked before? Surely there are visitors from Europe or Canada or the USA who come for several months during the winter? Looking at the DIMAS web site...

http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Entry_Req-Eng.pdf

If you own a property, you do not have to show that you have sufficient funds. Owning the property satisfies the extension to 180 days criteria.

@TonyNorthCapeMay. Thanks. I appreciate your input. It looks like there is an email address at the bottom of the DIMAS web page.

@Ciboney4. If you did not apply for an extension, then surely you must have filled in a form on arrival that gave your departure date and the address of where you were staying?

Kind regards

Peter

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

Yes I filled the form out, the same one that everyone gets

8. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 23:35
Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

@Ciboney4

The form that everyone fills out only allows you to remain in Aruba for 30 days as a visitor. I guess the immigration department didn't come looking for you, as you would be staying in Aruba as an illegal after 30 days.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Aruba for 60 days!

@GunRunner

One solution might be to bring your last Credit Card statement with you which would show your credit card balance at that date and the available credit. Hopefully, you would of had a low balance and lots of credit left as available. Your bank account statement might also be worth while bringing with you. For an extra 30 days I don't think they will be too concerned.