We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Does renting a car for your home rental make you more of a target than if you had nothing in the driveway and just used taxis? (Since the license plates make it obvious you are a tourist renter.)

It is our first time there and I don't want to start a debate on if Aruba is super safe or if it is full of petty crime. I DON'T CARE either way. I am not naive about the risk of a house rental (have done it in other countries), nor am I expecting the worst. Just trying to find out if it looks better to have no car in the house driveway at all vs. a rental car in the house driveway.

We are 50/50 on the car because taxi rates would be nearly the same.

Can't wait to be there in just 2 weeks! :)

Edited: 07 January 2014, 16:27
Wix Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Kini Kini Transfer & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Justin's ATV Rental and Tours
Equipment Hire, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Hard to say. We always stay at a hotel in Aruba except one year we rented a house over NYE, we had 2 rental cars in the carport (we were there with another couple) and had no issues. Could have more to do with the location of the house than the rental cars in the driveway.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

I would rent a car. Unlike staying in a hotel, taxis won't be right out your front door. Have a great trip and be sure to safeguard your valuables.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Just me, but if you are 50/50 and a car vs. taxi is going to cost the same, I would go with taxis. There are central numbers you can dial to have a taxi come to your house to pick you up.

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

I'm not sure if any other car rental companies do it, but Tropic won't rent to you if you are staying at a house or villa versus a resort. To many break ins.

Teanne

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
878 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

If price is the same I would go with taxis. As Arubalisa says, it is easy to get a taxi to your house to pick you up.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Well, I appreciate all of the helpful information! :)

I haven't read anything about problems with renting a car at a house, but Tropic was all booked for our dates. I guess that is something else to consider.

The house we are renting is in the first block off of Palm Beach so in that location, we could work with taxis or rental.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

In that location you could walk as well if so inclined. I would do a combo of walking and a taxi but I dont mind walking....

Edited: 08 January 2014, 00:43
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Yes, that is what we are thinking. We are big walkers/explorers.

We have decided to do a taxi. We will check at one of the high rise hotels about getting a car for a couple days in the middle of our trip and if it works, it works. If not, that's okay too.

Thanks again for all the help and information! :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

Thats a great question and you asked in a really exceptional way as to not inflame the topic.

I have stayed at the main resorts, gated condos and Homes/Villas. I would rent the car and leave nothing in it. I would also take out whatever insurance the company requires to cover a break it.

Here is what a friend who lives on the Island suggested and in thought it was interesting. We were discussing the topic a few weeks ago and he said put a piece of paper on the dash that says ''All our valuables are with us dude, try the car next to us with all that stuff in the back seat!'' I thought that was great and you would need to write it in a few languages! lol

Some people think it is only the tourist rental car that get broken into. I know locals that it has happened to. My friend said it's cars with visible valuables that are the most at risk. So @MrsOlson as you know everything i said in this post can be debated and probably will, this in just my experience and what i would do. I like have the freedom of my own transportation. I rented 3 cars last year and then for 3 trips a friend let me use her car. I had no break-ins and i was parked in the more exclusive parts of the Island and the places few tourist visit and park well. Have a great trip!

Here is a tip, Video everything with your phone or at least snap a pic. When i would pick up a rental and they walk around the car marking the sinks and scratches i film it. When you park the car snap a shot, When the person who rents the Villa does the walk through, video it. This has saved me on more then one occasion! Defiantly snap the miles on the car and how much gas is in it! EDS!

10. Re: Renting a car for a house rental re: security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20