We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam manor

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam manor

Can anyone tell me about Amsterdam Manor and the ability to walk to a town to shop? My girlfriend and I are in our early 50's and want a quiet location but the ability to find shopping and historical things to do.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam manor

Not really walkable but the local bus stop is right in front of Amsterdam Manor and you can take that into town (about a 15 minute ride). The bus is cheap ($2.30) and safe. You can also take it in the other direction to Palm Beach (5 minutes away) where there are alot of restaurants, shops, etc,

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam manor

Thx for the input. Have you heard good things about Amsterdam Manor? Is there anything you can walk to from there? Grocery? Historical sights? Places to eat?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam manor

We have been staying at Amsterdam Manor every year (twice each year) since 2004 so I guess you could say we kinda like it there. LOL!! We love that it's small and quiet with a great beach and the rooms all have kitchens or kitchenettes (we like having our own breakfast on the balcony in the morning.)

There is a large grocery store on the main road behind Amsterdam Manor - it is walkable.

No historical sights nearby.

There are a few restaurants that are walkable: Pizza Bob's (located next door at the Tropicana), Carambola, Chalet Suisse, Tulip, Zuzuroh's, and Screaming Eagle. But the majority of the restaurants will be in the Palm Beach area or downtown. Palm Beach probably has more to pick from now than downtown does.

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam manor

Wow1 Awesome! we've been looking at rooms there and the suites aren't available. Do you think the superior rooms are nice? Which rooms do you stay in?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam manor

My husband and I usually get the one bedroom. When I'm there with friends we book the 2 bedroom/2 bath. We stayed in a superior studio once but it was our first stay there which was about 10 years ago. It was nice but we always stay for 12-14 days so we like having the extra room in the one bedroom.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam manor

Our family has traveled to Aruba over 20 times, but stayed at the Amsterdam Manor for the first time over Christmas and New Year's. All 5 of us were extremely pleased with the resort's friendly and accommodating staff, comfortable studios and suites as well as cleanliness and maintenance. The beach was terrific as well with plenty of shade palapas and complimentary floats.

We had great meals at Passions and Mango's at the Amsterdam Manor as well as their sister restaurant Tulip. Definitely DO make reservations in advance for Passions.

We loved it so much we are in the midst of booking again for Christmas and New Year's this year!

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam manor

Love the AMBR as well--it has everything I wanted in a hotel and the staff is unparalleled. My husband and I stayed in C11--just a superior room, but it was indeed superior.

Whaddaya mean "no historical sites?!" The much-photographed Divi tree is on the beach!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam manor

C-11 is a standard studio. ;) All of the standard studios are garden view in the back or in the side 3 level bldg. The superior studios are all in front on the ground level with a patio and face the water. The superior studios are a little larger, too.

I like all of the rooms there except I don't think I'd like the garden view rooms because they only have a semi-private patio.

I didn't know the tree was "historical" but now that you mention it.... :)

Edited: 10 January 2014, 01:04
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam manor

We loved our 2 stays at AMBR. Our first visit was in the Honeymoon Suite which was lovely!!! We should have booked a similar room the second time, but stayed in a standard studio (Room C-13). Although it was a very nice room, we had been spoiled the year before with the extra space which we really enjoyed. I would book a Superior Room or a 1 bedroom the next time.

The resort is quaint, the service is excellent, and the beach is fabulous!

10. Re: Amsterdam manor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18