We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathing suits

Albany NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bathing suits

When my husband and I went to Greece a few years back, I noticed that all the women wore bikinis no matter what age or size they were. I felt like an old woman in my tankini! Just wondered what the norm is in Aruba. Our trip is coming up in March and I'm starting to think about getting a clothing list ready. Weird question I know. I should wear what I feel comfortable in!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bathing suits

You will see all types of bodies in all types of bathing suits. Absolutely wear what makes you comfortable.

I personally don't do the Tankini because it feels like I am swimming with clothes on. The top gets all stuck to me and I hate the way it feels. I've become addicted to one piece Miracle Suits. Yes they are pricey but worth every penny!!!

http://www.miraclesuit.com/

Hayden, Idaho
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bathing suits

We stay at the Tam and noticed a few one piece suits but most women (No matter the size or age) wore bikinis. Take your bikini...You will fit right in!

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bathing suits

People seem to wear whatever the hell they want - so go for it! :)

New York
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bathing suits

I'm with trizi01 and wear what ever you feel you look best in and most comfortable. Although many woman wear bikinis, some should not, especially me!! Some men also were Spedo's LOL .. trizi01, love the Miracle Suits. thanks

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bathing suits

wear what looks good on you, not what looks good or bad on someone else. jmo

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bathing suits

I agree with everyone. Wear whatever you like. No worries. That is why you are going to Aruba.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bathing suits

I agree with Tony and BB etal....There is one international dress code that sadly is not universally enforced -- If you are a guy from Spain or Italy, you are more than 200 pounds overweight, and past the age of 60, it is illegal to wear a thong in public....Heck, it may be illegal to wear it in private too!

New York
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bathing suits

I wear what I am comfortable in. So I agree with the rest of the advice, where what you are comfortable in.

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
756 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bathing suits

Europeans tend to be more comfortable with their bodies than us Americans so you will see out of shape men and women wearing teeny tiny bikinis and speedos.

I also love the Miracle suits. They really do a great job of hiding the imperfections.

You are on vacation and are spending your hard-earned money so wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. Enjoy your trip!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bathing suits

Thanks for the advice. I agree that Europeans are more comfortable with their bodies. While in Greece at the beach one day, we observed an elderly woman there (with her daughters I presumed) who apparently decided on the spur of the moment to go for a quick swim. I think they were speaking German. Anyhow she pulled off all her clothes and got in the water in her bra and panties, did her swim, then got out and dressed and left! Not something you'd see we Americans likely to do! BTW, my husband is not overweight but I promise he won't wear a Speedo and traumatize anyone!