We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

Bayside, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

My friend and I are traveling to Aruba this June and we would like to rent a car for the week. Which car rental places gave you the best experience? And if anyone rented a car, but was still able to go to the caves, please let me know, because I have heard that the only way to get there is by a 4x4.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

We love both Tropic and wheels2go. The latter provides you with the use of a cell phone for the rental period.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

I now use Wheels2Go for renting a car. If you want a jeep contact More4Less.

New Bedford...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

You will be able to get to the caves with an automobile but will need a 4X4 to get to the Natural Pool. My experience with More4less rental is below.

I visited Aurba for a week 1/6-1/11/14 and reserved a 2 door Jeep Wrangler (std.) online and had no issues. More4less emailed a confirmation to me overnight with instructions as to where to meet upon landing in Aurba. Met Gregory at the airport, was taken to their facility about one mile away and was given a very nice Jeep to use for the week. Did a little off-roading to visit the Natural Pools and when we returned to our hotel my daughter noticed that a tire was hissing (leaking air). I phoned More4less and was told they would send someone to my hotel to replace the tire and not to worry-I didn't even have to leave my hotel room to meet the employee. About 20 minutes later More4less called my hotel room and asked if it would be OK to switch out the Jeep. They switched out the Jeep for an automatic transmission Jeep of very high quality and appologized to me for the inconvenience and the fact that the replacement Jeep was dirty. I should have been the one appologizing to them because the Jeep I had originally rented was very dirty from driving off-road and the replacement had some water spots that were hardly even noticeable!! All in all these folks are great!! I can't say enough about the quality, service and friendliness of the staff and all those involved with this rental. Everything went as planned and for a great price. If I ever (and I will as it's a beautiful and very friendly island) go back to Aruba I will rent from More4less again and I don't hesitate to recommend them to all!! To often people only review a company/hotel ect. when they have a problem or issue. Rent with confidence from More4less. Thanks Gregory!!

Pete G.

Massachusetts/USA

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

I have been researching car rentals in Aruba for our trip in March - very confusing! A lot of the advice on tripadvisor is years old. This is what I've learned so far:

Wheels2go reservation website does not seem to be secure (no "s" after http) for credit card info, but lots of good reviews

Tropic has only Toyota Yaris which we were advised to avoid as parts are scarce & theft high, but tropic got the best reviews

Royal got good reviews but many more bad ones

Econo got mostly good reviews and I was convinced that was the way to go, but then when I went to make a reservation, there was a problem. Their website has "high season" prices in bold type when you check rates but the price there is really the low season rate: you don't get the real high season rate unless you click on "high season" which I didn't do because it was already in bold - I just clicked "make reservation". I entered all my information without seeing any price listed, they then indicated I would get an email which I did in the next day or two with a higher rate than I expected because of the way it appears on their web site. When I called the 800# to protest, they ran circles around me on the phone when I tried to explain to them that I thought their website was deceptive and that I should get the lower price. They gave me the name of the manager who, magically was "in a meeting" just seconds after a lengthy conversation with the woman who answered the phone and said to call back tomorrow. I'm sure I would get the same run around. I'm still conflicted about going with them because even their higher price was similar to other national chain prices but included 3rd party liability which the others did not. I'm afraid they'll "lose" my reservation because I made a fuss. Now I don't know what to do!

I liked National when I called their 800# - the woman was very patient and explained every possible charge, but their prices were higher.

Now I really don't know what to do.

Any advice?

Edited: 23 January 2014, 23:43
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

If you are lucky enough to get a Yaris from Hans, go with Tropic and observe normal protocol--park in well-lighted areas, don't leave valuables in the vehicle and lock the doors at all times.

Let wheels2go know that you are not comfortable reserving on an unsecured website--we had no trouble when we did that.

Beantown, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

I'd advise against renting any cars at all:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k7145…

If you do make sure you have insurance against theft (of the whole vehicle, and not just valuables inside!), and the vehicle has a working alarm or some other type of theft protection. Apparently thefts are happening inside gated areas in broad daylight, although asking the police wont get you any specific information.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

Douglas, it is ridiculous for you to advise not renting any cars at all. I sympathize with your bad experience but to trul\y enjoy Aruba I feel a car is important. I am here now and renting from wheels2go whose owner assured me that his vehicles have special theft protection and we got complete insurance.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

Thanks for the advice. I cancelled Econo - just didn't trust them. My husband and I decided to go with National for the little extra money. Hope it works out. This is our first "International" car rental and we've become nervous travelers. It would be nice if Aruba becomes our new favorite island, but alas there are many others . . .

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
212 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

Both times we've been, we rented a car and for convenience purposes rented from the airport. June 2011 through Budget and January 2014 through Avis. Had no problems and went very smoothly both times. Pick up and return were a breeze compared to our experience in Cancun, where we rented off the airport proximity. It's a risk but we actually drove to natural bridge and to the cave with just a car back in June 2011. I would suggest though to take a jeep whenever possible. Just wanted to share my experiences. Have a great time!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals and jeeps in Aruva

Deb325, I don't blame you for making a change. The bold high season lettering, combined with the low season rates, could confuse people. I know better because I am familiar with a lot of rental rates and NOBODY will rent a car to you at $165/week in high season. Tropic gets very good reviews; however, I don't care for their advertising. They advertise a 5 day rental at $145. The catch being they will only honor that price 2 weeks or sooner than the date needed. They will not have a car available during that time frame, so the ad is misleading. I know from experience. Their 5 day "special" is only $20 less than a full week through Econo. You name the car rental company and none will get a perfect score. Lots won't even post their prices. You have to fill out a form. A total waste of time if price isn't competitive. I am renting from Econo again in June. Third time. Previous 2 times were just fine.